The sun was just entering the dappled east, and his light illumined the wreathed and dewy orchard trees and shone down the quiet walks under them.
太阳正进入光影斑驳的东方,阳光照耀着花满枝头露水晶莹的果树,照亮了树底下幽静的小径。
Jane, will you have a flower?
简,给你一朵花好吗?
He gathered a half-blown rose, the first on the bush, and offered it to me.
他采摘了枝头上第一朵初开的玫瑰,把它给了我。
Thank you, sir.
谢谢,先生。
Do you like this sunrise, Jane?
你喜欢日出吗,简?
That sky with its high and light clouds which are sure to melt away as the day waxes warm — this placid and balmly atmosphere?
喜欢天空,以及天气一暖和就消失的高高的轻云吗?— 喜欢这宁静而温馨的气氛吗?
I do, very much.
喜欢,很喜欢.
You have passed a strange night, Jane.
你度过了一个奇怪的夜晚,简。
Yes, sir.
是呀,先生。
And it has made you look pale.
弄得你脸无神色了。
Were you afraid when I left you alone with Mason?
让你一个人与梅森呆着,你怕吗?
I was afraid of some one coming out of the inner room.
我怕有人会从内间走出来。
But I had fastened the door.
可是我拴了门。
I had the key in my pocket.
钥匙在我口袋里。
I should have been a careless shepherd if I had left a lamb — my pet lamb— so near a wolf's den, unguarded. You were safe.
要是我把一只羊羔 — 我心爱的小羊 — 毫无保护地留在狼窝边,那我岂不是一个粗心大意的牧羊人了?你很安全。
Will Grace Poole live here still, sir?
格雷斯·普尔还会住在这儿吗,先生?
Oh, yes! Don't trouble your head about her — put the thing out of your thoughts.
呵,是的,别为她去烦神了 — 忘掉这事儿吧。