But whatever mood the apparition evinced, whatever aspect it wore,
但是不管这幽灵心情怎样,长相如何,
it failed not for seven successive nights to meet me the moment I entered the land of slumber.
一连七夜我一进入梦乡,它便来迎接我。
I did not like this iteration of one idea -- this strange recurrence of one image,
我不喜欢同一念头反复不去--不喜欢同一形象奇怪地一再出现,
and I grew nervous as bedtime approached and the hour of the vision drew near.
临要上床和幻象就要出现的时刻,我便局促不安起来。
It was from companionship with this baby-phantom I had been roused on that moonlight night when I heard the cry.
由于同这位梦中的婴孩形影不离,那个月夜,我听到了一声啼哭后便惊醒过来。
And it was on the afternoon of the day following I was summoned downstairs by a message that some one wanted me in Mrs. Fairfax's room.
第二天下午我被叫下楼去,捎来口信说有人要见我,等候在费尔法克斯太太房间里。
On repairing thither, I found a man waiting for me, having the appearance of a gentleman's servant.
我赶到那里,只见一个绅士仆人模样的人在等我。
He was dressed in deep mourning, and the hat he held in his hand was surrounded with a crape band.
他身穿丧服,手中拿着的帽子围着一圈黑纱。
"I dare say you hardly remember me, Miss," he said, rising as I entered.
“恐怕你记不得我了吧,小姐,”我一进屋他便站了起来说。
But my name is Leaven.
不过我的名字叫利文。
I lived coachman with Mrs. Reed when you were at Gateshead, eight or nine years since and I live there still.
八、九年前你在盖茨黑德的时候,我住在那里,替里德太太当车夫。现在我还是住在那儿。
Oh, Robert! how do you do? I remember you very well.
哦,罗伯特!你好吗?我可记得清楚呐。
You used to give me a ride sometimes on Miss Georgiana's bay pony.
有时候你还让我骑一骑乔治亚娜小姐的栗色小马呢。
And how is Bessie? You are married to Bessie?
贝茜怎么样?你同她结婚了?
Yes, Miss. My wife is very hearty, thank you.
是的,小姐,我的太太很健康,谢谢。
She brought me another little one about two months since
两个月之前她又给我生了个小家伙
we have three now -- and both mother and child are thriving.
现在我们有三个了--大人和孩子都好。
And are the family well at the house, Robert?
盖茨黑德府全家都好吗,罗伯特?
I am sorry I can't give you better news of them, Miss.
很抱歉,我没法儿给你带来好消息,小姐。
They are very badly at present -- in great trouble.
眼下他们都很糟--糟糕得很呐。