第二十一章
Presentiments are strange things!
预感真是个怪物!
And so are sympathies, and so are signs,
还有感应,还有征兆,都无不如此,
and the three combined make one mystery to which humanity has not yet found the key.
三者合一构成了人类至今无法索解的秘密。
I never laughed at presentiments in my life, because I have had strange ones of my own.
我平生从未讥笑过预感,因为我自己也有过这种奇怪的经历。
Sympathies, I believe, exist
我相信心灵感应是存在的
(for instance, between far-distant, long-absent, wholly estranged relatives asserting,
(例如在关系甚远、久不往来、完全生疏的亲戚之间,
notwithstanding their alienation, the unity of the source to which each traces his origin)
尽管彼此疏远,但都认不有着同一个渊源),
whose workings baffle mortal comprehension.
心灵感应究竟如何产生,却不是人类所能理解的。
And signs, for aught we know, may be but the sympathies of Nature with man.
至于征兆,也许不过是自然与人的感应。
When I was a little girl, only six years old,
我还只是一个六岁的小女孩时,
I one night heard Bessie Leaven say to Martha Abbot that she had been dreaming about a little child.
一天夜里听见贝茜·利文对马撒·艾博特说,她梦见了一个小孩。
And that to dream of children was a sure sign of trouble, either to one's self or one 's kin.
而梦见孩子无论对自己还是对亲人,肯定是不祥之兆。
The saying might have worn out of my memory, had not a circumstance immediately followed which served indelibly to fix it there.
要不是紧接着发生的一件事给我留下了难以磨灭的印象,这种说法也许早就淡忘了。
The next day Bessie was sent for home to the deathbed of her little sister.
第二天贝茜被叫回家去看她咽气的小妹妹。
Of late I had often recalled this saying and this incident,
近来,我常常忆起这种说法和这件事情。
for during the past week scarcely a night had gone over my couch that had not brought with it a dream of an infant,
因为上个星期,我几乎每晚都在床上梦见一个婴孩,
which I sometimes hushed in my arms, sometimes dandled on my knee,
有时抱在怀里哄它安静下来;有时放在膝头摆弄;
sometimes watched playing with daisies on a lawn, or again, dabbling its hands in running water.
有时看着它在草地上摸弄雏菊,或者伸手在流水中戏水。
It was a wailing child this night, and a laughing one the next.
一晚是个哭着的孩子,另一晚是个笑着的孩子。
Now it nestled close to me, and now it ran from me.
一会儿它紧偎着我,一会又逃得远远的。