手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 心理科学秀 > 正文

你注定成为你父母的样子吗

来源:可可英语 编辑:Alisa   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

At some point when you were a kid, you probably told yourself,

当你还是个孩子时,你可能会告诉自己
"I'm not going to be anything like my mom and dad when I'm older …I'm gonna be cool."
“我长大后不要像我的爸爸妈妈,我要很厉害。”
Let me tell you…
我要说的是...
But now that you're older, maybe you sometimes find yourself saying things like,
但现在你长大了,也许会发现自己有时说这样的话,
"you know, when I was your age…" or, "money doesn't grow on trees!"
“你知道,我在你这个年纪的时候...”或“挣钱不容易!”
And then you realize that you're kind of turning into your mom despite your best efforts.
然后你意识到尽管自己拼尽全力,还是会变得有点儿像妈妈。
The good news is, you're not the only one who's ever worried about turning into their parents.
好消息是,你不是唯一一个担心变得像父母的人。
The bad news is: when they grow up,
坏消息是:人们长大后,
people tend to share a lot more in common with their parents than they might expect.
变得与父母更像,而不是成为他们期望的样子。
It's often just a matter of time.
这通常只是时间问题。
Some of that stuff is just a normal part of aging.
有些变化属于正常老化。
As you get older, your circadian rhythm shifts in a way that makes you get tired earlier and wake up earlier.
随着年龄的增长,生理节奏的变化会让你困得早、醒得早。
People also tend to become less concerned about having exciting new experiences
人们更少关心令人兴奋的新经验,
and spend more time dwelling on nostalgic thoughts.
花更多时间停留在怀旧上。
So maybe we're all doomed to eventually start getting up at the crack of dawn
所以,也许我们最终注定会在破晓时开始起床,
and waxing poetic about the good old days.
为过去的美好时光增添诗意。
But you can also end up sharing all kinds of other things with your parents,
你的各种其他事情,
everything from their personality traits to their career interests.
从性格特征到职业兴趣最终也会与父母相同。
Which is why psychologists have spent a lot of time trying to figure out
这就是为什么心理学家花很多时间想弄清楚,
how likely people are to emulate their parents,
人们模仿父母的可能性有多大,
and where exactly those similarities come from.
以及这些相似之处从何而来?

qinzi.jpg

When it comes to issues like abuse or alcoholism,

当涉及到诸如虐待或酗酒之类的问题时,
the link isn't as straightforward, so we'll save that for another episode.
和本期没有直接关系,所以我们会在其他期再讲。
But for things like personality traits, there's a good starting point in your genes.
但是对于人格特征等来说,你的基因里有个好起点。
Traits have different amounts of heritability,
特征的遗传度不同,
a statistic that describes how much of the variation in that trait among different people is determined by genetics.
一项统计数据描述了不同人的特征变化有多少是由基因决定的。
Height, for example, is about 70-80% heritable.
例如,身高的遗传度大约是70-80%。
So if you're really tall, odds are that genetics is a major factor,
所以如果你很高,遗传很可能是主要因素,
and that you have other tall people in your family.
你家里还有其他高个子的人。
But it's not entirely genetic.
但特征并不完全来自遗传。
Things like your environment and circumstances play a role too,
环境等也会起作用。
which is why two identical twins with the same genes sometimes turn out to be different heights.
这就是为什么两个有着相同基因的同卵双胞胎有时会有不同的身高。
Personality traits also have different amounts of heritability,
人格特征也有不同的遗传度,
which is a big part of how you might end up similar to your parents.
这在很大程度上决定你与父母的相似度。
To study personality, psychologists usually look at what are known as the Big 5 traits:
为了研究人格,心理学家通常研究所谓的五大特征:
extraversion, agreeableness, openness to experience, conscientiousness, and neuroticism.
外向性、亲和性、开放性、自觉性和神经质。
By looking at the similarities and differences between pairs of twins,
他们通过观察双胞胎之间的异同,
some raised together and some raised apart,
这些双胞胎有些是一起养育的,有些是分开养育的,
they've found that these psychological traits have heritabilities between 40-60%.
发现这些心理特征的遗传度在40-60%之间。
That's lower than something physical, like height or hair color,
这要低于生理特征如身高和发色的遗传度,
but it means that genetics still has a pretty big influence on people's personalities.
但也意味着遗传仍对人们的性格有很大影响。
So if you're just as stubborn as your father, or just as motivated as your mother,
所以,如果你和你父亲一样固执,或者和你母亲一样积极,
that could be the genetic influence on those big five traits.
可能是基因对五大特征的影响。
But parents influence kids through more than just genetics.
但是父母对孩子的影响不只是通过遗传。
You learn a lot of your behavior and traits from the people who raise you,
你从抚养你的人身上学到很多行为和特征,
regardless of whether you're biologically related to them.
不管你与他们是否有血缘关系。
That's known as the influence of shared environment,
这就是众所周知的共享环境影响,
and it can affect things like overall intelligence, how religious you are,
它会影响你的整体智力、宗教信仰
your political leanings, and what kinds of career interests you have.
政治倾向以及职业兴趣等东西。
General intelligence, for example, might be affected by how stimulating your child's environment is.
例如,一般智力可能是受孩子所处环境刺激方式的影响。
Things like having lots of reading material around
比如,周围有很多阅读材料,
and using complex sentences in conversation correlate with higher test scores.
对话中使用复杂句子与较高的考试分数相关。
When it comes to what kinds of careers you're interested in,
当涉及到你感兴趣的职业时,
both genetics and the shared environment seem to play a role,
遗传和共享环境似乎都起作用,
it's about 36% genetics and 10% shared environment.
遗传大约占36%,共享环境占10%。
The effects of a shared environment also tend to fade over time.
共享环境的影响会随着时间的推移逐渐消失。
So if you're raised by someone other than your biological parents,
所以如果你不是由亲生父母抚养长大的,
you might be more like your caregivers when you're younger,
当你小的时候,可能更像照顾你的人,
but become a bit more like your biological parents once you get older.
但一旦你长大了,就会变得更像你的亲生父母。
Genetics and a shared environment can explain a lot,
遗传和共享环境可以解释很多东西,
but they almost never account for everything.
但它们几乎不对任何事情负责。
There's still plenty of room for individual variation and change in your attitudes and traits.
态度和特征方面的个体差异和改变还有很大空间。
There are also some things you just can't know about yourself until you become an adult
在你成年之前,还有一些事情是你无法了解的。
like what kind of parent you'll be.
比如,你会成为什么样的父母。
Research shows that people tend to adopt similar parenting styles to their own parents,
研究表明,人们倾向采取与父母类似的教养方式,
like how much warmth they display or how strict they are when it comes to rules and chores.
比如他们表现出多少温暖,以及他们对规则和家务的严格程度。
But waiting a while to have kids seems to reduce this effect.
但是等上一段时间要孩子似乎能减少这种影响。
It's like older first-time parents have more opportunity to see other adults parent,
似乎年长一点儿的初为父母者有更多机会去看其他成年父母,
which gives them more models for their own behavior.
这为他们的行为提供了更多的模型。
So, there are lots of reasons you might be similar to your parents.
所以,你可能与父母相似的原因有很多。
But if there's anything you absolutely don't want to emulate,
但如果有什么是你绝对不想效仿的,
take heart that most of these influences max out at around 60%,
记住,这些影响最大占60%左右,
even if you include the effects of a shared environment.
即使共享环境的影响也在内。
Which means that the rest of the differences between people comes from other environmental factors …
这意味着剩下的个体差异来自于其他环境因素…
including what you choose for yourself.
包括你自己的选择。
You are your own person, and only you get to decide what that means.
你是你自己,只有你自己才能决定这意味着什么。
Thanks for watching this episode of SciShow Psych!
感谢您收看本期的心理科学秀!
If you are interested in learning more about the hidden connections between parents and their children,
如果你有兴趣了解更多关于父母和孩子之间隐藏的联系,
you can check out our video on whether trauma can be inherited.
可以看看我们关于创伤是否可以遗传的视频。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
tend [tend]

想一想再看

v. 趋向,易于,照料,护理

 
opportunity [.ɔpə'tju:niti]

想一想再看

n. 机会,时机

 
strict [strikt]

想一想再看

adj. 严格的,精确的,完全的

 
psychological [.saikə'lɔdʒikəl]

想一想再看

adj. 心理(学)的

 
environment [in'vaiərənmənt]

想一想再看

n. 环境,外界

 
adopt [ə'dɔpt]

想一想再看

v. 采用,收养,接受

联想记忆
overall [əuvə'rɔ:l]

想一想再看

adj. 全部的,全体的,一切在内的
adv.

 
openness ['əupənnis]

想一想再看

n. 公开;宽阔;率真

 
identical [ai'dentikəl]

想一想再看

adj. 相同的,同一的

 
dwelling ['dweliŋ]

想一想再看

n. 住处

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。