With just one blog post, a young engineer would go on to completely shift diversity hiring in tech.
凭借一篇博客,一位年轻的工程师就彻底改变了技术行业雇佣多元化的格局。
Tracy Chou is not your average woman in STEM.
特雷西·周不是你们眼中那种普通的STEM女性。
Tracy is a sophomore engineer who has been employed at some of the top tech companies in the world.
特雷西是一名大学二年级的工程师,但她已有多家世界顶级科技公司的工作经验。
I grew up in Silicon Valley, the daughter of two software engineers and computer scientists.
我是在硅谷长大的,我的父母是软件工程师,计算机科学家。
So, you could say in some ways that it was always in my blood.
所以,你也可以说我的血液里就有这种基因。
But as she entered into the offices of silicon valley, she experienced the unsettling feeling that can come from being the lone woman.
但当她刚进入硅谷的办公室时,她经历了唯一的女性员工经历的那种不安。
I had a lot of people flirting with me or hitting on me or giving me gifts.
有很多人勾引我,跟我搭讪或送我礼物。
It was more than a year into working full-time that I first had the realization that I might be treated differently because I was a woman.
全职工作一年多我才意识到可能因为我是女性才受到了区别对待。
When I was treated differently, I thought that it was more due to something wrong with me.
当我被区别对待时,我会以为是我的问题。
As more people started talking about these issues, I started to see that my experience was not unique and that I wasn't crazy.
随着越来越多的人开始讨论这些问题,我开始发现我的经历并不是独一无二的,我也没有失去理智。
There was no question in Tracy's mind that there was a pervasive, sexist culture throughout her industry.
在特蕾西看来,毫无疑问,她所在的行业存在普遍的性别歧视文化。
But she needed the numbers to prove it.
但她需要一些数据来证明这一点。
There were no numbers across industry overall,
这方面没有行业整体的数据,
and so in the back of my head, I would actually keep a running count of who the other female engineers were and who the other minorities were.
所以,在我的脑海中,我实际上一直都在留意还有谁是女性工程师,还有谁是少数群体。
I realized also that people weren't tracking that data.
我也意识到人们并没有跟踪这些数据。
I think in some ways it was because it's easier to ignore the problem if you're not looking at any data on it.
我认为,一定程度上是因为如果大家没有看到任何数据,就会更容易忽略这个问题。
That made me think, we really do need to put these numbers down.
这让我意识到,我们确实需要减少这些数字。
So she took matters into her own hands.
于是,她决定自己动手。
She published her company's gender diversity stats on Medium.
她在媒体上发布了她所在公司的性别多样性统计数据。
More and more people started sharing it.
越来越多的人开始分享这一数据。
The first big company that released their data was Google.
第一家主动发布他们的数据的是谷歌。
And then all the other companies really wanted to follow suit.
然后所有其他公司都开始效仿了。
Later, seeing Apple and Amazon, I realized that there was actually a connection,
后来看到苹果和亚马逊也发布了他们的数据,我意识到行业内确实是有联系的,
and that me on my side, writing a little Medium post and tweeting about it in my little world actually could have an impact on the larger industry.
意识到就我而言,我发一篇文章,分享给我自己身边的人也真的能够对整个行业带来一定的影响。
Tracy no longer refers to herself as just an engineer.
Tracy不再称自己只是一名工程师了。
She's also become one of tech's most impassioned diversity advocates,
她也成了科技界最慷慨激昂的多元化倡导者之一,
co-founding Project Include, a nonprofit that uses data to help tech companies diversify their staff.
还联名创立了利用数据帮助科技公司实现员工多元化的非营利组织Project Include。
Now that we're having much more discussion around diversity,
随着我们围绕多样性展开的讨论越来越热烈,
people who are having less great experiences understand that it's not necessarily them, and that there are bigger structural problems that need to be addressed.
那些有过负面经历的人开始意识到她们不一定非要被这样对待,意识到还有更大的行业结构问题需要解决。
Sometimes when I feel down, I'll actually be lucky to get someone reaching out,
有时我也会感到沮丧,但真的很幸运能够有人伸出援助之手,
and sometimes it's a younger woman in industry, or maybe someone still in school who will say, thank you for doing this work.
有时候是业内的年轻女性,有时候是还在上学的女孩儿,她们跟我说,谢谢我做了这份工作。
I'm doing my little part to make the industry better for the people who are coming after me.
我正在尽我所能,为我的后来者改善这个行业。