Because if we don't, then the person will think "well, if I want to succeed in business, then you know I have to bend the rules".
因为如果不这样做,那些人就会想,"如果我想成为成功的商人,那我就要做违规的事"
And when an ethical decision comes up,
当他们要作出道德决定时
when he or she becomes the manager at the age of 35, they say "well, the only way to succeed is I bend the rules slightly".
当他们在35岁当上经理时,他们就会想,成功的唯一途径就是不要太守规矩
And that creates self-fulfilling prophecy.
这就形成了自我实现预言
Or, how many people here, seriously show of hands, once thought of going into politics, becoming governor, or President, or Prime Minister?
这里有多少人,说真的,请大家举手,想过进入政界,成为州长总统或首相的
How many people thought of going. No, other than me.
有多少人想过。除了我
OK, quite a lot. I mean, we know that, at Harvard, there are quite a few.
好的,很多,我们知道在哈佛有很多
Now out of those who put the hands up, how many people were told by others "you shouldn't go into politics- you are too honest"?
除了那些举手的人,有多少人听过别人说"你不要进入政界,你太诚实了"
Too honest. You know, we hear it all the time.
太老实,我们经常听到这样的话
And that becomes self-fulfilling prophecy,
这就成了自我实现预言
because many honest people who could potentially make the world a better place by going into politics don't go in.
因为很多本来会从政改善世界的诚实人有了这种想法后就不从政了
Because "politicians are crooks".
因为别人都说政客是骗子"
Well, politicians are not crooks. Yes, there are politicians who are crooks, but they are the minority.
政客不是骗子,有些政客是骗子,但他们只占少数
The majority do honest work, want to make the world a better place.
大部分都是诚实工作想让世界变得更美好的
They surely make mistakes. They are human after all, but with good intentions, within ethical code.
他们确实会犯错误,毕竟他们也是人,但他们的意图是好的,他们有道德操守
You know it's a wonder that there is so much good in our world, while the focus is so much on the bad.
虽然我们都关注坏事,但世界上还是有很多好事,这确实算是一个奇迹
It really is a wonder to me.
在我来看,真的是一个奇迹
It just shows how powerful human nature, and how powerful the good part of our nature is, because we can sustain goodness.
这体现了人性的强大,我们人性的善良因子的强大,因为我们能保持这份善良