While Sherlock Holmes had been detailing this singular series of events,
当歇洛克·福尔摩斯细说着这一连串奇怪的事情的时候,
we had been whirling through the outskirts of the great town until the last straggling houses had been left behind,
我们的马车正飞快地驶过这座大城市的郊区,直到最后把那些零零落落的房子甩在后面。
and we rattled along with a country hedge upon either side of us.
接着马车顺着两旁有篱笆的乡间道路辚辚前进。
Just as he finished, however, we drove through two scattered villages, where a few lights still glimmered in the windows.
他刚一讲完,我们正从两个疏疏落落的村庄之间驶过,有几家窗户里灯光闪烁着微光。
"We are on the outskirts of Lee," said my companion.
"现在已经到了李镇的郊区,"我的伙伴说,
"We have touched on three English counties in our short drive,
"在我们短短的旅途中,一路上竟接触了英格兰的三个郡县,
starting in Middlesex, passing over an angle of Surrey, and ending in Kent.
从米德尔赛克斯出发,经过萨里的一隅,最后到达了肯特郡。
See that light among the trees? That is The Cedars,
你看到了那树丛中的灯光了吗?那就是杉园。
and beside that lamp sits a woman whose anxious ears have already, I have little doubt, caught the clink of our horse's feet."
在那灯旁坐着一位妇女,她忧心如焚,静聆动静的耳朵无疑已经听到我们马蹄得得的声音了。"
"But why are you not conducting the case from Baker Street?" I asked.
"可是你为什么不在贝克街办这件案子呢?"我问道。
"Because there are many inquiries which must be made out here.
"因为有许多事情要在这里进行侦察。
Mrs. St. Clair has most kindly put two rooms at my disposal,
圣克莱尔太太已经盛情地安排了两间屋子供我使用。
and you may rest assured that she will have nothing but a welcome for my friend and colleague.
你可以放心,她一定对我的朋友兼伙伴表示热烈欢迎。
I hate to meet her, Watson, when I have no news of her husband. Here we are. Whoa, there, whoa!"
华生,在我还没有得到她丈夫的消息以前,我可真怕见她。我们到啦。"