"That would be very convenient," he said.
“那会非常方便,”他说。
"Don't get me wrong. I don't think she did it, but I have to keep an open mind.
“不要误会我,我认为不是她,但我不能抱有成见。
I can't dismiss the facts just because she's my friend."
我不能仅仅因为她是我的朋友就无视这些事实。”
I thought of Jennifer. "I see what you mean," I said.
我想到了詹妮弗。“我明白你的意思,”我说。
Uncle Jeff looked at his watch and said, "It's almost eleven o'clock. It's time to get home."
杰夫叔叔看了看表说:“快十一点了,该回家了。”
We had parked across the street from campus so we walked in that direction.
我们把车停在了学校对面的街道上,所以我们朝那个方向走去。
The traffic light changed and we both took a step to cross the street when a car came out of nowhere.
交通灯变了,我和杰夫叔叔正准备要过马路,一辆汽车不知从哪儿冒出来。
It came toward us at full speed.
它全速向我们飞奔而来。
I was sure it would hit me when I felt a hand grab the back of my shirt, pulling me back onto the sidewalk—just in time.
我敢肯定,车子要朝我撞过来了,这时我感觉到一只手抓住我的衬衫后面,及时把我拉回到人行道。
I turned and saw Uncle Jeff, still holding onto my shirt.
我转过身,看见杰夫叔叔还抓着我的衬衫。
He looked angry and he was looking at the car going down the street. I turned back to look, too,
杰夫叔叔看起来很生气,他在看着那辆行驶的车,我也回头看那辆车,
but it was too late. It was gone.
但为时已晚,车子不见了。
"Did you get the license plate number?" I asked him.
“你看到车牌号了吗?”我问道。
"No, it's too dark," he said.
“没有,太黑了,”他说。
"But one thing I do know. That was no accident.
“但是有一件事我知道,这绝非偶然,
That car was waiting for us and whoever was driving it meant to get us."
那辆车在等我们,是朝我们开过来的。”
"Who could it be?" I asked.
“会是谁呢?”我问。
"I don't know," he said,
“我不知道,”杰夫叔叔说,
"but this means that we're on the right track. Someone is nervous about what we'll find."
“但这意味着案件的方向是对的,有人担心我们会发现什么。”