"Do you think the dean could have been blackmailing Professor Marcelo?" I asked.
“你认为院长会勒索马塞洛教授吗?”我问。
"I was wondering the same thing," he said.
“我也在想同样的事情,”杰夫叔叔说。
"If he was just bothering her, maybe she could ignore it.
“如果院长只是在打扰她,也许马塞洛教授可以不用理会。
But if he was blackmailing her, that might explain why she went to his office two weeks ago and left so angrily.
但如果他是在敲诈她,这或许可以解释为什么两周前马塞洛教授去了他的办公室,然后愤然离去。
We're just guessing, but it's a possibility."
这只是我们的猜测,但这是有可能的。”
"Do you think her husband may have had something to do with it?" I asked.
“你认为她的丈夫可能和这件事有关吗?”我问。
"It's hard to say," he said. "I don't think we can rule out Emil Marcelo.
“这很难说,”杰夫叔叔说。“我认为我们不能排除埃米尔·马塞洛。
We only have Diana Marcelo's word that her husband wasn't angry anymore about their affair.
我们只是从戴安娜·马塞洛那里听说她丈夫不再对他们的事情生气了。
Even if he was, he may have had reason to kill Alan Maurie if he were blackmailing them.
即使她的丈夫不生气,如果院长勒索他们,他也有理由杀死毛里院长。
It's possible that he traveled back from Denver without anyone knowing."
他有可能在没有人知道的情况下从丹佛回来。”
"That's two suspects so far," I said.
“到目前为止有两个嫌疑人,”我说。
"Right. Now we come to Clara Dunn and Jennifer Brody," he said.
“好,现在我们来谈谈克拉拉·邓恩和詹妮弗·布罗迪。”杰夫叔叔说。
"Not Jennifer!" I said. "I can't believe she could have done it."
“不是珍妮弗!”我说。“我真不敢相信她会做这件事。”
Uncle Jeff gave me a look of pity. "You just heard her motive," he said.
杰夫叔叔同情地看了我一眼。“你刚才听到了她的动机,”杰夫叔叔说。
"Alan Maurie was blackmailing her with those photos.
“毛里院长用那些照片勒索她,
She was also in the right place at the right time.
她有作案的时间和地点。