"There's one thing I still don't understand," Professor Dunn said.
“有一件事我还是不明白,”邓恩教授说。
"Who wrote the threatening letters to Alan Maurie?"
“谁给艾伦·毛里写的恐吓信?”
"I think Diana Marcelo did," Uncle Jeff said. "I think she was trying to scare Alan Maurie so that he would stop bothering her.
杰夫叔叔说:“我想是戴安娜·马塞洛。她应该是想吓唬艾伦·毛里,这样他就不会再烦她了。”
Those letters had nothing to do with him getting killed."
那些信与他被杀无关。”
"One thing still puzzles me," Uncle Jeff said to Professor Dunn. "You hated Alan Maurie.
杰夫叔叔对邓恩教授说:“有一件事我还是不明白,你恨艾伦·毛里。
Why did you come to me in the beginning and ask me to find out who was sending the letters?
你为什么一开始就来找我,问我信是谁寄的?
I don't think you were seriously worried about his safety."
我想你并不是真的担心他的安全。”
"I'm ashamed to say," she said, "but I suspected that Alan Maurie was up to some shady things, maybe even some illegal things.
她说:“我不好意思这么说,但我怀疑艾伦·毛里在做一些见不得人的事情,甚至可能是非法的事情。
But I didn't exactly know what.
但我不知道具体是什么事情。
I was hoping that your investigation would find out something that would get him into trouble, something that would make him lose his job.
我希望你的调查能给他制造一些麻烦,让他丢掉工作。
Please don't be angry with me, Jeff. I had so much anger in me that I didn't stop to think that I was using you by asking for your help."
请不要生我的气,杰夫。我太生气了,以至于我没有停下来想:我请求你的帮助是在利用你。”
"I'm just glad it's over," he said. "What now?"
“我很高兴一切都结束了,”他说。“接下来呢?”