“快了吗,先生?”
"Very soon, my -- that is, Miss Eyre:
“很快,我的...那就是,爱小姐,
and you'll remember, Jane, the first time I, or Rumour,
你还记得吧,简,我第一次,或者说谣言明白向你表示,
plainly intimated to you that it was my intention to put my old bachelor's neck into the sacred noose,
我有意把自己老单身汉的脖子套上神圣的绳索,
to enter into the holy estate of matrimony -- to take Miss Ingram to my bosom,
进入圣洁的婚姻状态--把英格拉姆小姐搂入我的怀抱,
in short (she's an extensive armful: but that's not to the point
总之(她足足有一大抱,但那无关紧要
one can't have too much of such a very excellent thing as my beautiful Blanche):
像我漂亮的布兰奇那样的市民,是谁都不会嫌大的。
well, as I was saying -- listen to me, Jane!
是呀,就像我刚才说的--听我说,简!
You're not turning your head to look after more moths, are you?
你没有回头去看还有没有飞蛾吧?
That was only a lady-clock, child, 'flying away home.'
那不过是个瓢虫,孩子,‘正飞回家去’。
I wish to remind you that it was you who first said to me, with that discretion I respect in you
我想提醒你一下,正是你以我所敬佩的审慎,
with that foresight, prudence, and humility which befit your responsible and dependent position
那种适合你责任重大、却并不独立的职业的远见、精明和谦卑,首先向我提出,
that in case I married Miss Ingram, both you and little Adèle had better trot forthwith.
万一我娶了英格拉姆小姐,你和小阿黛勒两个还是立刻就走好。
I pass over the sort of slur conveyed in this suggestion on the character of my beloved;
我并不计较这一建议所隐含的对我意中人人格上的污辱;
indeed, when you are far away, Janet, I'll try to forget it:
说实在,一旦你们走得远远的,珍妮特,我会努力把它忘掉:
I shall notice only its wisdom; which is such that I have made it my law of action.
我所注意到的只是其中的智慧,它那么高明,我已把它奉为行动的准则。
Adèle must go to school; and you, Miss Eyre, must get a new situation."
阿黛勒必须上学;爱小姐,你得找一个新的工作。”