"It is a long way to Ireland, Janet, and I am sorry to send my little friend on such weary travels:
“这儿到爱尔兰很远,珍妮特,很抱歉,把我的小朋友送上这么今人厌倦的旅程:
but if I can't do better, how is it to be helped?
但要是没有更好的主意了,那该怎么办呢?
Are you anything akin to me, do you think, Jane?"
简,你认为你我之间有相近之处吗?”
I could risk no sort of answer by this time: my heart was still.
这时我没敢回答,因为我内心很激动。
"Because," he said, "I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you
“因为,”他说,“有时我对你有一种奇怪的感觉,
especially when you are near me, as now: it is as if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs,
尤其是当你象现在这样靠近我的时候:仿佛我左面的肋骨有一根弦,
tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in the corresponding quarter of your little frame.
跟你小小的身躯同一个部位相似的弦紧紧地维系着,难分难解。
And if that boisterous Channel, and two hundred miles or so of land come broad between us,
如果咆哮的海峡和二百英里左右的陆地,把我们远远分开,
I am afraid that cord of communion will be snapt;
恐怕这根情感交流的弦会折断,
and then I've a nervous notion I should take to bleeding inwardly.
于是我不安地想到,我的内心会流血。
As for you, -- you'd forget me."
至于你--你会忘掉我。”
"That I never should, sir: you know" --impossible to proceed.
“那我永远不会,先生,你知道...”我不可能再说下去了。
"Jane, do you hear that nightingale singing in the wood? Listen!"
“简,听见夜莺在林中歌唱吗?听呀!”