"Where do you see the necessity?" he asked suddenly.
“在哪儿看到的呢?”他猛地问道。
"Where? You, sir, have placed it before me."
“哪儿?你,先生,已经把这种必要性摆在我面前了。”
"In what shape?"
“什么样的必要性?”
"In the shape of Miss Ingram; a noble and beautiful woman, your bride."
“就是英格拉姆小姐那模样,一个高尚而漂亮的女人--你的新娘。”
"My bride! What bride? I have no bride!"
“我的新娘!什么新娘呀?我没有新娘!”
"But you will have."
“但你会有的。”
"Yes; I will! I will!" He set his teeth.
“是的,我会!我会!”他咬紧牙齿。
"Then I must go: you have said it yourself."
“那我得走:你自己已经说了。”
"No: you must stay! I swear it and the oath shall be kept."
“不,你非留下不可!我发誓--我信守誓言。”
"I tell you I must go!" I retorted, roused to something like passion.
“我告诉你我非走不可!”我回驳着,感情很有些冲动。
"Do you think I can stay to become nothing to you?
“你难道认为,我会留下来甘愿做一个对你来说无足轻重的人?
Do you think I am an automaton -- a machine without feelings
你以为我是一架机器--一架没有感情的机器,
and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup?
能够容忍别人把一口面包皮从我嘴里抢走,把一滴生命之水从我杯子里泼掉?
Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless?
难道就因为我一贫如洗、默默无闻、长相平庸、个子瘦小,就没有灵魂,没有心肠了?
You think wrong! I have as much soul as you, and full as much heart!
你不是想错了吗?我的心灵跟你一样丰富,我的心胸跟你一样充实!
And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth,
要是上帝赐予我一点姿色和充足的财富,
I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you.
我会使你同我现在一样难分难舍。
I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh;
我不是根据习俗、常规,甚至也不是血肉之躯同你说话,
it is my spirit that addresses your spirit;
而是我的灵魂同你的灵魂在对话,
just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God's feet, equal, as we are!"
就仿佛我们两人穿过坟墓,站在上帝脚下,彼此平等--本来就如此!”