"You are welcome to all my confidence that is worth having, Jane; but for God's sake, don't desire a useless burden!
“凡是一切值得知道的隐秘,简,都欢迎你知道。不过看在上帝面上,不要追求无用的负担!
Don't long for poison -- don't turn out a downright Eve on my hands!"
不要向往毒药--不要变成由我照管的十十足足的夏娃!”
"Why not, sir? You have just been telling me how much you liked to be conquered,
“干嘛不呢,先生?你刚才还告诉我,你多么高兴被我征服,
and how pleasant over-persuasion is to you.
多么喜欢被我强行说服。
Don't you think I had better take advantage of the confession, and begin and coax and entreat
你难道不认为,我不妨可利用一下你的表白,开始哄呀,求呀,必要时甚至
even cry and be sulky if necessary -- for the sake of a mere essay of my power?"
还可哭哭闹闹,板起面孔--只不过为了尝试一下我的力量?”
"I dare you to any such experiment. Encroach, presume, and the game is up."
“看你敢不敢做这样的试验。步步进犯,肆无忌惮,那就一切都完了。”
"Is it, sir? You soon give in. How stern you look now!
“是吗,先生?你很快就变卦了。这会儿你的表情多么严厉!
Your eyebrows have become as thick as my finger,
你的眉头已皱得跟我的手指一般粗,
and your forehead resembles what, in some very astonishing poetry, I once saw styled, 'a blue-piled thunderloft.'
你的前额像某些惊人诗篇所描写的那样犹如‘乌云重叠的雷霆。’
That will be your married look, sir, I suppose?"
我想那就是你结婚以后的神气了,先生?”
"If that will be your married look, I, as a Christian,
“如果你结婚后是那付样子,像我这样的基督徒,
will soon give up the notion of consorting with a mere sprite or salamander.
会立刻打消同无非是个小妖精或者水蛇厮混的念头。
But what had you to ask, thing, out with it?"
不过你该要什么呢,伙计?说出来吧?”
"There, you are less than civil now; and I like rudeness a great deal better than flattery.
“瞧,这会儿连礼貌也不讲了,我喜欢鲁莽,远胜于奉承。
I had rather be a thing than an angel. This is what I have to ask.
我宁愿做个伙计,也不愿做天使。我该问的就是。
Why did you take such pains to make me believe you wished to marry Miss Ingram?"
你为什么煞费苦心要我相信,你希望娶英格拉姆小姐?”