"Is that all? Thank God it is no worse!"
“就是这些吗?谢天谢地,不算太糟!”
And now he unknit his black brows; looked down, smiling at me,
此时他松开了浓黑的眉头,低头朝我笑笑,
and stroked my hair, as if well pleased at seeing a danger averted.
还抚摸着我的头发,仿佛看到躲过了危险,十分庆幸似的。
"I think I may confess," he continued, "even although I should make you a little indignant, Jane,
“我想还是坦率地说好。”他继续说。“尽管我要让你生点儿气,简,
and I have seen what a fire-spirit you can be when you are indignant.
我看到了你一旦发怒,会变成怎样一位火妖。
You glowed in the cool moonlight last night, when you mutinied against fate, and claimed your rank as my equal.
昨晚清凉的月光下,当你反抗命运,声言同我平等时,你的面容灼灼生光。
Janet, by-the-bye, it was you who made me the offer."
珍妮特,顺便提一句,是你自己向我提出了那样的建议。”
"Of course I did. But to the point if you please, sir -- Miss Ingram?"
“当然是我,但是请你不要环顾左右了,先生--英格拉姆小姐。”
"Well, I feigned courtship of Miss Ingram,
“好吧,我假意向英格拉姆小姐求婚,
because I wished to render you as madly in love with me as I was with you;
因为我希望使你发疯似他同我相受,就象我那么爱你一样,
and I knew jealousy would be the best ally I could call in for the furtherance of that end."
我明白,嫉妒是为达到目的所能召唤的最好同盟军。”
"Excellent! Now you are small -- not one whit bigger than the end of my little finger.
“好极了!现在你很渺小--丝毫不比我的小手指尖要大。
It was a burning shame and a scandalous disgrace to act in that way.
简直是奇耻大辱,这种想法可耻透顶。
Did you think nothing of Miss Ingram's feelings, sir?"
难道你一点也不想想英格拉姆小姐的感情吗,先生?”