"Her feelings are concentrated in one -- pride; and that needs humbling. Were you jealous, Jane?"
“她的感情集于一点--自负。那就需要把她的气焰压下去。你妒嫉了吗,简?”
"Never mind, Mr. Rochester: it is in no way interesting to you to know that.
“别管了,罗切斯特先生。你是不在乎知道这个的的。
Answer me truly once more.
再次老实回答我。
Do you think Miss Ingram will not suffer from your dishonest coquetry? Won't she feel forsaken and deserted?"
你不认为你不光彩的调情会使英格拉姆小姐感到痛苦吗?难道她不会有被遗弃的感觉吗?”
"Impossible! -- when I told you how she, on the contrary, deserted me:
“不可能!我曾同你说过,相反是她抛弃了我,
the idea of my insolvency cooled, or rather extinguished, her flame in a moment."
一想到我无力还债,她的热情顿时一落千丈,化为乌有。”
"You have a curious, designing mind, Mr. Rochester.
“你有一个奇怪而工于心计的头脑,罗切斯特先生。
I am afraid your principles on some points are eccentric."
恐怕你在某些方面的人生准则有违常理。”
"My principles were never trained, Jane: they may have grown a little awry for want of attention."
“我的准则从来没有受过调教,简。由于缺乏照应,难免会出差错。”
"Once again, seriously; may I enjoy the great good that has been vouchsafed to me,
“再严肃问一遍,我可以享受向我担保的巨大幸福,
without fearing that any one else is suffering the bitter pain I myself felt a while ago?"
而不必担心别人也像我刚才一样蒙受剧痛吗?”
"That you may, my good little girl:
“你可以,我的好小姑娘。
there is not another being in the world has the same pure love for me as yourself
世上没有第二个人对我怀着同你一样纯洁的爱,
for I lay that pleasant unction to my soul, Jane, a belief in your affection."
因为我把那愉快的油膏,也就是对你的爱的信任,贴到了我的心坎上。”