"Mademoiselle is a fairy," he said, whispering mysteriously.
“小姐是个精灵,”他神秘地耳语着说。
Whereupon I told her not to mind his badinage;
因此我告诉她别去管他的玩笑了。
and she, on her part, evinced a fund of genuine French scepticism: denominating Mr. Rochester "un vrai menteur,"
而她却显示了丰富道地的法国式怀疑主义,把罗切斯特先生称作“unvrai menteur”,
and assuring him that she made no account whatever of his "contes de fée,"
向他明确表示她毫不在乎他的“Contes de fee”
and that "du reste, il n'y avait pas de fees, et quand meme il y en avait:"
还说“du reste, il n'y avait pas de fees, et quand meme il y en avait”,
she was sure they would never appear to him, nor ever give him rings, or offer to live with him in the moon.
她敢肯定,她们也决不会出现在他面前,也不会给他戒指,或者建议同他一起住在月亮上。
The hour spent at Millcote was a somewhat harassing one to me.
在米尔科特度过的一段时间很有些折磨人。
Mr. Rochester obliged me to go to a certain silk warehouse: there I was ordered to choose half-a-dozen dresses.
罗切斯特先生硬要我到一家丝绸货栈去,到了那里命令我挑选六件衣服。
I hated the business, I begged leave to defer it: no -- it should be gone through with now.
我讨厌这事儿,请求推迟一下。不行,现在就得办妥。
By dint of entreaties expressed in energetic whispers, I reduced the half-dozen to two:
经我拼命在他耳边恳求,才由六件减为两件。
these however, he vowed he would select himself.
然而他发誓要亲自挑选些衣服。
With anxiety I watched his eye rove over the gay stores:
我焦急地瞧着他的目光在五颜六色的店铺中逡巡,
he fixed on a rich silk of the most brilliant amethyst dye, and a superb pink satin.
最后落在一块色泽鲜艳、富丽堂皇的紫晶色丝绸上和一块粉红色高级缎子上。
I told him in a new series of whispers, that he might as well buy me a gold gown and a silver bonnet at once:
我又重新悄悄地告诉他,还不如马上给我买件金袍子和一顶银帽子。
I should certainly never venture to wear his choice.
我当然决不会冒昧地去穿他选择的衣服。
With infinite difficulty, for he was stubborn as a stone,
费了九牛二虎之力,因为他像顽石一般固执,
I persuaded him to make an exchange in favour of a sober black satin and pearl-grey silk.
我才说服他换一块素静的黑色缎子和珠灰色的丝绸。
"It might pass for the present," he said; "but he would yet see me glittering like a parterre."
“暂时可以凑乎了,”他说。但他要让我看上去像花圃一样耀眼。