"You come out at last," he said. "Well, I have been waiting for you long, and listening:
“你终于出来了,”他说,“是呀,我已经等了你很久了,而且细听着,
yet not one movement have I heard, nor one sob: five minutes more of that death-like hush,
但既没有听到一点动静,也没有听到一声哭泣,再过五分钟那么死一般的沉寂,
and I should have forced the lock like a burglar. So you shun me? you shut yourself up and grieve alone!
我可要像盗贼那样破门而入了。看来,你避开我?你把自己关起来,独自伤心?
I would rather you had come and upbraided me with vehemence. You are passionate.
我倒情愿你厉声责备我。你易动感情。
I expected a scene of some kind.
因此我估计会大闹一场。
I was prepared for the hot rain of tears; only I wanted them to be shed on my breast:
我准备你热泪如雨,只不过希望它落在我胸膛上,
now a senseless floor has received them, or your drenched handkerchief.
而现在,没有知觉的地板,或是你湿透了的手帕,接受了你的眼泪。
But I err: you have not wept at all! I see a white cheek and a faded eye, but no trace of tears.
可是我错了,你根本没有哭!我看到了白白的脸颊,暗淡的眼睛,却没有泪痕。
I suppose, then, your heart has been weeping blood?"
那么我猜想,你的心一定哭泣着在流血?
"Well, Jane! not a word of reproach? Nothing bitter -- nothing poignant?
“听着,简,没有一句责备的话吗?没有尖刻、辛辣的言词?
Nothing to cut a feeling or sting a passion?
没有挫伤感情或者打击热情的字眼?
You sit quietly where I have placed you, and regard me with a weary, passive look."
你静静地坐在我让你坐的地方,无精打采地看着我。”
"Jane, I never meant to wound you thus.
“简,我决不想这么伤害你。
If the man who had but one little ewe lamb that was dear to him as a daughter,
要是某人有一头亲如女儿的母羊,
that ate of his bread and drank of his cup, and lay in his bosom, had by some mistake slaughtered it at the shambles,
吃他的面包皮,饮用他的杯子,躺在他怀抱里,而由于某种疏忽,在屠场里宰了它,
he would not have rued his bloody blunder more than I now rue mine. Will you ever forgive me?"
他对血的错误的悔恨决不会超过我现在的悔恨,你能宽恕我吗?”
Reader, I forgave him at the moment and on the spot.
读者!我当时当地就宽恕了他。
There was such deep remorse in his eye, such true pity in his tone, such manly energy in his manner;
他的目光隐含着那么深沉的忏悔;语调里透出这样真实的憾意,举止中富有如此男子气的活力。
and besides, there was such unchanged love in his whole look and mien
此外,他的整个神态和风度中流露出那么矢志不移的爱情,
I forgave him all: yet not in words, not outwardly; only at my heart's core.
我全都宽恕了他,不过没有诉诸语言,没有表露出来,而只是掩藏在心底里。