"Jane, my little darling (so I will call you, for so you are), you don't know what you are talking about;
“简,我的小宝贝,(我会这么叫你,因为你确实是这样),你不了解你谈的事儿,
you misjudge me again: it is not because she is mad I hate her.
你又错怪我了。我恨她并不是因为她发了疯。
If you were mad, do you think I should hate you?"
要是你疯了,你想我会恨你吗?”
"I do indeed, sir."
“我想你会的,先生。”
"Then you are mistaken, and you know nothing about me, and nothing about the sort of love of which I am capable.
“那你错了。你一点也不了解我,一点也不了解我会怎样地爱。
Every atom of your flesh is as dear to me as my own: in pain and sickness it would still be dear.
你身上每一丁点皮肉如同我自己身上的一样,对我来说都非常宝贵,病痛之时也一样如此。
Your mind is my treasure, and if it were broken, it would be my treasure still:
你的脑袋是我的宝贝,要是出了毛病,也照样是我的宝贝。
if you raved, my arms should confine you, and not a strait waistcoat -- your grasp, even in fury, would have a charm for me:
要是你呓语连篇,我的胳膊会围住你,而不是紧身马甲--即使在动怒的时候你乱抓乱拉,对我说来也是迷人的。
if you flew at me as wildly as that woman did this morning,
要是你像今天早上的那个女人那样疯狂向我扑来,
I should receive you in an embrace, at least as fond as it would be restrictive.
我会用拥抱接受你,至少既起到制止的作用,又显出抚爱来。
I should not shrink from you with disgust as I did from her:
我不会像厌恶地避开她一样避开你,
in your quiet moments you should have no watcher and no nurse but me;
在你安静的时刻,你身边没有监护人,没有护士,只有我。
and I could hang over you with untiring tenderness, though you gave me no smile in return;
我会带着不倦的温柔体贴,在你身边走动,尽管你不会对我报之以微笑。
and never weary of gazing into your eyes, though they had no longer a ray of recognition for me.
我会永不厌腻地盯着你的眼睛,尽管那双眼睛已不再射出一缕确认我的光芒。
But why do I follow that train of ideas?
但是我干嘛要顺着那样的思路去想呢?
I was talking of removing you from Thornfield.
我刚谈着让你离开桑菲尔德。
All, you know, is prepared for prompt departure: to-morrow you shall go.
你知道,一切都准备好了,让你立刻离开这里,明天你就走。
I only ask you to endure one more night under this roof, Jane; and then, farewell to its miseries and terrors for ever!
我只不过求你在这间屋于里再忍受一个晚上,简,随后就向它的痛苦和恐怖诀别:
I have a place to repair to, which will be a secure sanctuary from hateful reminiscences,
我自有地方可去,那会是个安全的避难所,躲开可憎的回忆、
from unwelcome intrusion -- even from falsehood and slander."
不受欢迎的干扰--甚至还有欺诈和诽谤。”