"How are you now, Jane?"
“你现在好吗,简?”
"Much better, sir; I shall be well soon."
“好多了,先生。很快就会好的。”
"Taste the wine again, Jane."
“再尝一下酒,简。”
I obeyed him; then he put the glass on the table, stood before me, and looked at me attentively.
我照他的话做了。随后他把酒杯放在桌上,站到我面前,专注地看着我。
Suddenly he turned away, with an inarticulate exclamation, full of passionate emotion of some kind;
突然他转过身来,充满激情含糊不清地叫了一声,
he walked fast through the room and came back;
快步走过房间,又折回来,
he stooped towards me as if to kiss me; but I remembered caresses were now forbidden.
朝我弯下身子,像是要吻我,但我记起现在已不允许抚爱了。
I turned my face away and put his aside.
我转过头去,推开了他的脸。
"What! How is this?" he exclaimed hastily.
“什么?这是怎么回事?”他急忙嚷道。
"Oh, I know! you won't kiss the husband of Bertha Mason?
“呵,我知道!你不想吻伯莎·梅森的丈夫?
You consider my arms filled and my embraces appropriated?"
你认为我的怀里已经有人,我的拥抱已被占有?”
"At any rate, there is neither room nor claim for me, sir."
“无论怎么说,已没有我的份和我的容身之地了,先生。”
"Why, Jane? I will spare you the trouble of much talking; I will answer for you.
“为什么,简?我来免去你多费口舌的麻烦,让我替你回答。
Because I have a wife already, you would reply. -- I guess rightly?" "Yes."
因为我已经有了—个妻子,你会回答--我猜得对吗?”“是的。”