"Jane, I will not trouble you with abominable details: some strong words shall express what I have to say.
“简,我不想用讨厌的细节来打扰你了,我要说的话可以用几句激烈的话来表达。
I lived with that woman upstairs four years, and before that time she had tried me indeed:
我跟那个女人在楼上住了四年,在那之前她折磨得我够呛。
her character ripened and developed with frightful rapidity;
她的性格成熟了,并可怕地急剧发展;
her vices sprang up fast and rank: they were so strong, only cruelty could check them, and I would not use cruelty.
她的劣迹层出不穷,而且那么严重,只有使用残暴的手段才能加以制止,而我又不忍心,
What a pigmy intellect she had, and what giant propensities!
她的智力那么弱,而她的冲动又何等之强呵!
How fearful were the curses those propensities entailed on me!
那些冲动给我造成了多么可怕的灾祸!
Bertha Mason, the true daughter of an infamous mother,
伯莎·梅森--一个声名狼藉的母亲的真正的女儿
dragged me through all the hideous and degrading agonies which must attend a man bound to a wife at once intemperate and unchaste.
把我拉进了堕落骇人的痛苦深渊,一个男人同一个既放纵又鄙俗的妻子结合,这必定是在劫难逃的。
My brother in the interval was dead, and at the end of the four years my father died too.
“在这期间我的哥哥死了,四年之后我父亲相继去世。
I was rich enough now -- yet poor to hideous indigence:
从此我够富有的了--同时又穷得可怕。
a nature the most gross, impure, depraved I ever saw, was associated with mine,
我所见过的最粗俗、最肮脏、最下贱的属性同我联系在一起,
and called by the law and by society a part of me.
被法律和社会称作我的一部分。
And I could not rid myself of it by any legal proceedings:
而我开法通过任何法律程序加以摆脱,
for the doctors now discovered that my wife was mad -- her excesses had prematurely developed the germs of insanity.
因为这时医生们发觉我的妻子疯了--她的放肆已经使发疯的种子早熟。
Jane, you don't like my narrative; you look almost sick -- shall I defer the rest to another day?"
简,你不喜欢我的叙述,你看上去几乎很厌恶--其余的话是不是改日再谈?”