"My bride's mother I had never seen: I understood she was dead.
“新娘的母亲我从来没有见过,我以为她死了。
The honeymoon over, I learned my mistake; she was only mad, and shut up in a lunatic asylum.
但蜜月一过,我便发现自己搞错了。她不过是疯了,被关在疯人院里。
There was a younger brother, too -- a complete dumb idiot.
我妻子还有个弟弟,是个不会说话的白痴。
The elder one, whom you have seen
你所见到的大弟
(and whom I cannot hate, whilst I abhor all his kindred,
(尽管我讨厌他的亲人,却并不恨他,
because he has some grains of affection in his feeble mind,
因为在他软弱的灵魂中,还有许多爱心,
shown in the continued interest he takes in his wretched sister,
表现在他对可怜的姐姐一直很关心,
and also in a dog-like attachment he once bore me),
以及对我一度显出狗一般的依恋)
will probably be in the same state one day.
有一天很可能也会落到这个地步。
My father and my brother Rowland knew all this;
我父亲和我哥哥罗兰对这些情况都知道,
but they thought only of the thirty thousand pounds, and joined in the plot against me."
但他们只想到三万英镑,并且狼狈为奸坑害我。