Hello again and welcome back to English at Work. Last time we heard the team from Tip Top Trading having a smashing time at the launch of its plastic aubergine.
大家好,欢迎回到职场英语。上次我们看到Tip Top Trading的团队在发布其塑料茄子的过程中表现得非常不错。
Tom threw one at Dave from the IT department, but it missed him and went through a window! It's time for Paul to hand out some harsh words.
汤姆向技术部门的戴夫扔了一个塑料茄子,但没有砸到他,茄子穿过了窗户!保罗该讲些严厉的话了。
That behaviour just isn't on.
那种行为是不对的。
Sorry Paul… but it was quite funny wasn't it?
对不起,保罗...但是很有趣,不是吗?
No, it wasn't.
没有趣味。
Sorry Paul, Tom was just angry with Dave. I thought he liked me but we saw him with Julie from accounts.
对不起,保罗,汤姆对戴夫很生气。我以为戴夫喜欢我,但我们看到他和账户部门的朱莉在一起。
Really? He seemed such a decent chap… anyway, don't do it again. OK? In the meantime, you're going to have to pay for that broken window.
是吗?他似乎是一个体面的家伙……无论如何,不要再那样了。好吗?同时你将不得不赔偿那个破损的窗户。
What… hey? Bbbut…
什么?嘿,但是...
Now, excuse me, I need to take this. Hello, Paul Smith speaking. Ah, Mr Socrates… yes… ah, you've heard…
现在,对不起,我需要接电话。您好,我是保罗·史密斯。啊,Socrates先生...是的...啊,你听说过...
Crikey, come on we'd better go.
快,我们得离开了。
That was a good shot Tom! Looks like it's made an impact on Dave. Look, he's sent Anna some flowers.
汤姆,你砸得好!似乎对戴夫有影响。看,他给安娜送了一些花。
Oh there's a note on it. It says "You can count on me" but no name.
噢,上面有一张便条,写着“你可以相信我”,但没有署名。
That is a strange thing for him to write.
就他来说,这是一件奇怪的事。
Hmm, it is and it's not his handwriting.
嗯,不是他的笔迹。
Well, Maybe a secret admirer eh? I wonder who it could be?
好吧,也许是一个暗恋者?我不知道会是谁?
Are you OK Paul? You look as white as a sheet.
保罗,你还好吗?你的脸色不好。
I'm not actually. Mr Socrates says he's having a strategic review.
事实上我真的不太好。Socrates先生说,他正在对公司进行战略评估。
A what?
什么?
He means he's been looking at how the business is operating and how it should operate in the future.
他的意思是,他一直在研究公司的运作以及将来的运转。
That sounds serious.
听起来很严重。
And as part of his review, he says he wants to downsize and he's asked me to… step aside.
作为评估的一部分,他说他想削减人员,并请我……离开。
Why? What are you in the way of?
为什么?你哪里挡道了?
No Anna. To step aside is a polite way of saying to leave your position in the company.
不是的,安娜。离开是一种礼貌说法,即离开公司职位。
Oh. I don't understand Paul. Why?
哦。我不明白,保罗。为什么?
He says the company needs new direction and more dynamic leadership.
他说,公司需要新的指引和更有活力的领导。
Crumbs Paul, you can't get more dynamic than you!
保罗,你已经非常有活力了!
Tom! But Paul, you've been a great boss.
汤姆,别说了。保罗,你是一个非常不错的老板。
Thanks Anna. I guess it's the economic climate, we're not making enough money so cutting staff is inevitable.
谢谢安娜。我想这是经济环境的原因,我们没有赚到足够多的钱,所以裁员是不可避免的。
Yeah, but you cut Denise's job.
是的,但是你裁掉了丹妮丝的工作。
Yes but we had to get her back because she was necessary for the smooth running of the department.
是的,但我们必须让她回来,因为她对于部门的平稳运营是必要的。
That's right.
是这样的。
But Mr Socrates says I'm 'surplus to requirement'.
但Socrates先生说,我是“多余的”。
Oh, that doesn't sound good… does it?
哦,这听起来不好……对吧?
If Paul's job is 'surplus to requirement', it means his input to the business is no longer needed. So it's not good news.
如果保罗的工作是“多余的”,则意味着公司不再需要他的投入。因此,这不是一个好消息。
Anyway Anna, Mr Socrates wants to know if you got his special message?
无论如何,安娜,Socrates先生想知道你是否收到了他特别的信息?
Special message? The flowers!?
特别的信息?这些花吗?
That's strange. Why is Mr Socrates sending you flowers?
这很奇怪。Socrates先生为什么要送花给你?
It is a bit strange. Anyway, Paul's news has come as a shock for everyone. Here are some of the phrases Mr Socrates used to break the bad news:
有点奇怪。无论如何,保罗的消息震惊了所有人。下面是Socrates 先生公布这个消息时的一些短语:
I've been doing a strategic review of the company.
我一直在对公司进行战略评估。
I need to downsize.
我需要削减人员。
I need you to step aside.
我需要你离开。
The company needs a new direction and more dynamic leadership.
公司需要一个新的指引和更具活力的领导。
You are surplus to requirement.
你对公司来说是多余的。
Right, I'm going to have to call Mr Socrates and find out why he's sent me flowers.
好了,我将不得不打电话给Socrates先生,弄清楚他为什么给我送花。
Socrates… who wants me?
我是Socrates,你是谁?
Erm… hello Mr Socrates… it's Anna here.
呃...您好,Socrates先生...我是安娜。
Anna! My favourite girl. Please call me Brad. So glad you called.
安娜!你是我最欣赏的女孩。请叫我布拉德。很高兴你打来电话。
I needed to speak to you about the flowers you sent me. I'm very flattered but I don't think…
我需要和你谈谈你寄给我的花。我受宠若惊,但我不认为...
The flowers?! Sorry honey, I haven't sent you any flowers but I have sent you an email – have you read it yet?
什么花? 抱歉,我没有送花给你,但是我给你发了电子邮件,你读过了吗?
No. What did it say?
没有,邮件说了什么?
I was saying that as I'm giving Paul the chop, would you like a promotion?
我说我要辞退保罗,你想升职吗?
A promotion?
升职?
Yes. You have been an outstanding member of the team, so how would you like to be the new manager of Tip Top Trading's London office?
是的。你一直是团队里的杰出成员,所以你想成为Tip Top Trading的新经理吗?
What a fantastic opportunity and one that Anna surely can't refuse – or can she?
多好的一个机会啊!安娜肯定无法拒绝,或者她可以拒绝吗?
And who did send Anna those flowers with a message saying "You can count on me"? Find out what her answer is in the next English at Work. Bye.
谁寄给安娜那些花并说“你可以指望我”?我们将在下期的职场英语中弄清楚。再见!