And I sank down where I stood, and hid my face against the ground.
我就在站立的地方颓然倒下,把头埋进地里。
I lay still a while: the night-wind swept over the hill and over me, and died moaning in the distance;
我静静地躺了一会,夜风刮过小山,吹过我身上,呜咽着在远处消失,
the rain fell fast, wetting me afresh to the skin.
雨下得很大,重又把我浇透。
Could I but have stiffened to the still frost -- the friendly numbness of death -- it might have pelted on;
要是这么冻成了冰块--那么友好地麻木而死--雨点也许还会那么敲击着;
I should not have felt it; but my yet living flesh shuddered at its chilling influence. I rose ere long.
而我毫无感觉。可是我依然活着的肉体,在寒气的侵袭下颤抖,不久我便站了起来。
The light was yet there, shining dim but constant through the rain.
那光仍在那边,在雨中显得朦胧和遥远。
I tried to walk again: I dragged my exhausted limbs slowly towards it.
我试着再走,拖着疲乏的双腿慢慢地朝它走去。
It led me aslant over the hill, through a wide bog, which would have been impassable in winter,
它引导我穿过一个宽阔的泥沼,从斜刺里上了山。要是在冬天,这个泥沼是没法通过的,
and was splashy and shaking even now, in the height of summer.
就是眼下盛夏,也是泥浆四溅,一步一摇晃。
Here I fell twice; but as often I rose and rallied my faculties.
我跌倒了两次,两次都爬起来,振作起精神。
This light was my forlorn hope: I must gain it.
那道光是我几乎无望的希望,我得赶到那里。