"It looks snug. You know where Sam is?"
“看起来好暖和。你知道山姆在哪儿吗?”
"Keep on the way you were. If you come on Ser Ottyn's pavilion, you've gone too far." Giant smiled.
“沿着这个方向继续走就行。假如走到奥廷爵士的帐篷还没看到他,就是走过头了。”巨人笑笑,
"Unless Sam's found him a tree too. What a tree that would be."
“除非山姆也找到棵树。那得多大一棵树呀。”
It was Ghost who found Sam in the end. The direwolf shot ahead like a quarrel from a crossbow.
不久,白灵发现了山姆。冰原狼好似十字弓射出的飞矢,疾驰而去。
Under an outcrop of rock that gave some small degree of shelter from the rain, Sam was feeding the ravens.
在一片突出的岩层下——它或多或少能阻挡雨势——山姆正喂着渡鸦。
His boots squished when he moved. "My feet are soaked through," he admitted miserably.
他每动一步,靴子就发出咯吱咯吱的声响。“脚湿透了,”他凄惨地承认,
"When I climbed off my horse, I stepped in a hole and went in up to my knees."
“我下马时,不小心踩进坑里,水一直淹到膝盖啦。”
"Take off your boots and dry your stockings. I'll find some dry wood.
“靴子脱掉,先把袜子晾干。我去找点干柴。
If the ground's not wet under the rock, we might be able to get a fire burning." Jon showed Sam the rabbit. "And we'll feast."
如果这石头下的地不太湿,我们就能升火,”琼恩提起兔子在山姆眼前晃晃,“然后美餐一顿。”
"Won't you be attending Lord Mormont in the hall?"
“你不在大厅里陪莫尔蒙司令?”
"No, but you will. The Old Bear wants you to map for him. Craster says he'll find Mance Rayder for us."
“不,要去的是你。熊老叫你去画地图。卡斯特会为我们指出曼斯·雷德的所在。”
"Oh." Sam did not look anxious to meet Craster, even if it meant a warm fire.
“哦,”看样子山姆并不怎么想见卡斯特,即使这意味着温暖的火堆。
"He said eat first, though. Dry your feet."
“不过嘛,他让你吃饱了再去。好了,快把脚晾干。”
Jon went to gather fuel, digging down under deadfalls for the drier wood beneath
琼恩跑去收集燃料,他在地面堆积的枝叶里深深挖掘,以求干燥的树枝。
and peeling back layers of sodden pine needles until he found likely kindling.
然后他仔细剥开湿润的松针,直到确信能引火为止。
Even then, it seemed to take forever for a spark to catch.
即使这样挑选,仍旧花了老半天工夫,方才擦出火花。
He hung his cloak from the rock to keep the rain off his smoky little fire, making them a small snug alcove.
他脱下斗篷,盖在岩石上,以保护这堆冒烟的小火苗。最后,他终于为俩人建好一个温暖的小空间。