"She likes you, I am sure," said I, as I stood behind his chair, "and her father respects you.
“她喜欢你,我敢肯定,”我站在他椅子背后说,“她的父亲尊重你,
Moreover, she is a sweet girl -- rather thoughtless; but you would have sufficient thought for both yourself and her.
此外,她是个可爱的姑娘——不大有想法。但你会有够你们两个管用的想法。
You ought to marry her."
你应当娶她。”
"Does she like me?" he asked.
“难道她喜欢我?”他问。
"Certainly; better than she likes any one else.
“当然,胜过爱任何其他人。
She talks of you continually: there is no subject she enjoys so much or touches upon so often."
她不断谈起你,没有比这个更使她喜欢或者触及得更多的话题了。”
"It is very pleasant to hear this," he said -- "very: go on for another quarter of an hour."
“很高兴听你这样说,”他说——“很高兴,再淡一刻钟吧。”
And he actually took out his watch and laid it upon the table to measure the time.
他真的取出手表,放在桌上掌握时间。
"But where is the use of going on," I asked,
“可是继续谈有什么用?”我问,
"when you are probably preparing some iron blow of contradiction, or forging a fresh chain to fetter your heart?"
“既然你也许正在浇铸反抗的铁拳,或者锻造新的链条把自己的心束缚起来。”
"Don't imagine such hard things.
“别想这些严酷无情的东西了。
Fancy me yielding and melting, as I am doing:
要想象我让步了,被感化了,就像我正在做的那样。
human love rising like a freshly opened fountain in my mind and overflowing with sweet inundation all the field I have so carefully and with such labour prepared --
人类的爱像是我心田里新开辟的喷泉,不断上涨,甜蜜的洪水四溢,流淌到了我仔细而辛劳地开垦出来的田野——
so assiduously sown with the seeds of good intentions, of self-denying plans.
这里辛勤地播种着善意和自我克制的种子。
And now it is deluged with a nectarous flood -- the young germs swamped -- delicious poison cankering them:
现在这里泛滥着甜美的洪水——稚嫩的萌芽已被淹没——可口的毒药腐蚀着它们。
now I see myself stretched on an ottoman in the drawing-room at Vale Hall at my bride Rosamond Oliver's feet:
此刻我看到自己躺在溪谷庄休息室的睡榻上,在我的新娘罗莎蒙德.奥利弗的脚跟前。
she is talking to me with her sweet voice -- gazing down on me with those eyes your skilful hand has copied so well -- smiling at me with these coral lips.
她用那甜甜的嗓音同我在说话——用被你灵巧的手画得那么逼真的眼睛俯视着我——她那珊瑚色的嘴唇朝我微笑着——
She is mine -- I am hers -- this present life and passing world suffice to me.
她是我的——我是她的——眼前的生活和过眼烟云般的世界对我已经足够了。