And then there are other chances in life far more thrilling and rapture-giving:
此外,生活中还有比这更惊心动魄,更让人销魂的东西。
this is solid, an affair of the actual world, nothing ideal about it:
现在这件事很实在,很具体,丝毫没有理想的成份。
all its associations are solid and sober, and its manifestations are the same.
它所联系着的一切实实在在,朴朴素素,它所体现的也完全一样。
One does not jump, and spring, and shout hurrah! at hearing one has got a fortune;
你一听到自己得到一笔财产,不会一跃而起,高呼万岁!
one begins to consider responsibilities, and to ponder business;
而是开始考虑自己的责任,谋划正经事儿。
on a base of steady satisfaction rise certain grave cares, and we contain ourselves, and blood over our bliss with a solemn brow.
称心满意之余倒生出某种重重的心事来了——我们克制自己,皱起眉头为幸福陷入了沉思。
Besides, the words Legacy, Bequest, go side by side with the words, Death, Funeral.
此外,遗产、遗赠这类字眼伴随着死亡、葬礼一类词。
My uncle I had heard was dead -- my only relative;
我听到我的叔父,我唯一一位亲戚故去了。
ever since being made aware of his existence, I had cherished the hope of one day seeing him:
打从知道他存在的一天起,我便怀着有朝一日要见他的希望,
now, I never should.
而现在,是永远别想见他了。
And then this money came only to me: not to me and a rejoicing family, but to my isolated self.
而且这笔钱只留给我。不是给我和一个高高兴兴的家庭,而是我孤孤单单的本人。
It was a grand boon doubtless; and independence would be glorious -- yes, I felt that -- that thought swelled my heart.
当然这笔钱很有用,而且独立自主是件大好事——,是的,我已经感觉到了——那种想法涌上了我心头。
"You unbend your forehead at last," said Mr. Rivers.
“你终于抬起头来了,”里弗斯先生说,
"I thought Medusa had looked at you, and that you were turning to stone.
“我以为美杜莎已经瞧过你,而你正变成石头——
Perhaps now you will ask how much you are worth?"
也许这会儿你会问你的身价有多少?”
"How much am I worth?"
“我的身价多少?”
"Oh, a trifle! Nothing of course to speak of -- twenty thousand pounds, I think they say -- but what is that?"
“呵,小得可怜!当然不值一提—一我想他们说二万英镑——但那又怎么样?”