"Whereas I am hot, and fire dissolves ice.
“而我很热,火要把冰融化。
The blaze there has thawed all the snow from your cloak; by the same token, it has streamed on to my floor, and made it like a trampled street.
那边的火已经化掉了你斗篷上的所有的雪,由于同样原因,雪水淌到了我地板上,弄得像踩踏过的衔道。
As you hope ever to be forgiven, Mr. Rivers, the high crime and misdemeanour of spoiling a sanded kitchen, tell me what I wish to know."
里弗斯先生,正因为你希望我宽恕你毁我砂石厨房的弥天大罪和不端行为,那你就把我想知道的告诉我吧。”
"Well, then," he said,
“那么好吧,”他说,
"I yield; if not to your earnestness, to your perseverance: as stone is worn by continual dropping.
“我让步了,要不是向你的真诚屈服,就是向你滴水穿石的恒心投降。
Besides, you must know some day, -- as well now as later.
另外,有一天你还得知道,早知晚知都一样。
Your name is Jane Eyre?"
你的名字是叫简·爱吗?”
"Of course: that was all settled before."
“当然,这以前已全解决了。”
"You are not, perhaps, aware that I am your namesake? --
“你也许没有意识到我跟你同姓?
that I was christened St. John Eyre Rivers?"
我施洗礼时被命名为圣·约翰·爱·里弗斯?”
"No, indeed!
“确实没有!
I remember now seeing the letter E. comprised in your initials written in books you have at different times lent me;
现在可记起来了,我曾在你不同时间借给我的书里,看到你名字开头的几个字母中有一个E,
but I never asked for what name it stood.
但我从来没有问过它代表什么。
But what then? Surely" ----
不过那又怎么样?当然——”
I stopped: I could not trust myself to entertain, much less to express, the thought that rushed upon me --
我打住了。我不能相信自己会产生这样的想法,更说不上加以表达。
that embodied itself, -- that, in a second, stood out a strong, solid probability.
但是这想法闯入了我脑海——它开始具体化——顷刻之间,变成了确确实实可能的事情。
Circumstances knit themselves, fitted themselves, shot into order:
种种情况凑合起来了,各就各位,变成了一个有条有理的整体,一根链条。
the chain that had been lying hitherto a formless lump of links was drawn out straight, -- every ring was perfect, the connection complete.
以前一直是一堆没有形状的链环,现在被一节节拉直了——每一个链都完好无缺,链与链之间的联结也很完整。
I knew, by instinct, how the matter stood, before St. John had said another word;
圣·约翰还没有再开口,我凭直觉就已经知道是怎么回事了。
but I cannot expect the reader to have the same intuitive perception, so I must repeat his explanation.
不过我不能期望读者也有同样的直觉,因此我得重复一下他的说明。