"Twenty thousand pounds?"
二万英镑!”
Here was a new stunner -- I had been calculating on four or five thousand.
又是一件惊人的事情——我原来估计四、五干。
This news actually took my breath for a moment:
这个消息让我目瞪口呆了好一会儿。
Mr. St. John, whom I had never heard laugh before, laughed now.
我从没有听到过圣·约翰先生的笑声,这时他却大笑起来。
"Well," said he, "if you had committed a murder, and I had told you your crime was discovered, you could scarcely look more aghast."
“嗯,”他说,“就是你杀了人,而我告诉你你的罪行已经被发现了,也不会比你刚才更惊呆了。”
"It is a large sum -- don't you think there is a mistake?"
“这是一笔很大的款子——你不会弄错了吧?”
"No mistake at all."
“一点也没有弄错。”
"Perhaps you have read the figures wrong -- it may be two thousand!"
“也许你把数字看错了——可能是二千?”
"It is written in letters, not figures, -- twenty thousand."
“它不是用数字,而是用字母写的——二万。”
I again felt rather like an individual of but average gastronomical powers sitting down to feast alone at a table spread with provisions for a hundred.
我再次感觉到颇象一个中等胃口的人,独自坐在可供一百个人吃的盛宴面前。
Mr. Rivers rose now and put his cloak on.
这会儿里弗斯先生站起来,穿上了斗篷。
"If it were not such a very wild night," he said,
“要不是这么个风雪弥漫的夜晚,”他说,
"I would send Hannah down to keep you company: you look too desperately miserable to be left alone.
“我会叫汉娜来同你作伴。你看上去太可怜了,不能让你一个儿呆着。
But Hannah, poor woman! Could not stride the drifts so well as I: her legs are not quite so long: so I must e'en leave you to your sorrows. Good-night."
不过汉娜这位可怜的女人,不像我这样善于走积雪的路,腿又不够长。因此我只好让你独自哀伤了。晚安。”