"'I should be happy to advance it without further parley from my own private purse,' said I,
'我本应很高兴地用我私人的钱贷给您而不必做进一步的洽谈,'我说,
'were it not that the strain would be rather more than it could bear.
'如果不是因为这样做会有点使我负担过重的话。
If, on the other hand, I am to do it in the name of the firm,
另一方面,如果我以银行的名义办理这桩交易,
then in justice to my partner I must insist that, even in your case, every businesslike precaution should be taken.'
那么为了公平对待我的合伙人品见,即使是对您我也必须坚持,应当要有全部的业务上的担保。'
'I should much prefer to have it so,' said he, raising up a square, black morocco case which he had laid beside his chair.
'我倒宁愿这样做。'他说着把放在他座椅旁边的一只黑色四方形摩洛哥皮盒端了起来。
'You have doubtless heard of the Beryl Coronet?'
'你无疑听说过绿玉皇冠吧?'
'One of the most precious public possessions of the empire,' said I.
'这是我们帝国一件最贵重的公产。'我说。
'Precisely.' He opened the case, and there, imbedded in soft, flesh-coloured velvet,
'一点不错!'他打开盒子,衬托在柔软肉色天鹅绒上面的
lay the magnificent piece of jewellery which he had named.
就是他所说的那件华丽珍贵、灿烂夺目的珍宝。
'There are thirty-nine enormous beryls,' said he, 'and the price of the gold chasing is incalculable.
他接着说,'这里有三十九块大绿宝玉,上面的镂金雕花,价值就难以估计。
The lowest estimate would put the worth of the coronet at double the sum which I have asked.
这顶皇冠最低的估价也要值我所要借的钱的两倍。
I am prepared to leave it with you as my security.'
我准备把它放在你这里作为抵押起。'