I had finished the business now.
这下可完蛋了。
While earnestly wishing to erase from his mind the trace of my former offence,
我原是希望从他的脑海里抹去以前的伤痕,
I had stamped on that tenacious surface another and far deeper impression, I had burnt it in.
却不料在它坚韧的表面上打上了更深的印记,我已经把它烙到里面去了。
"Now you will indeed hate me," I said.
“现在你真的恨我了,”我说,
"It is useless to attempt to conciliate you: I see I have made an eternal enemy of you."
“再要同你和解也没有用了。我知道我已把你变成了永久的敌人。”
A fresh wrong did these words inflict: the worse, because they touched on the truth.
这些话好似雪上加霜,因为触及事实而更加伤人。
That bloodless lip quivered to a temporary spasm.
没有血色的嘴唇抖动着一下子抽搐起来。
I knew the steely ire I had whetted.
我知道我己煽起了钢刀一般的愤怒。
I was heart-wrung.
我心里痛苦不堪。
"You utterly misinterpret my words," I said, at once seizing his hand:
“你完全误解了我的话,”我立刻抓住他的手说,
"I have no intention to grieve or pain you -- indeed, I have not."
“我无意让你难受或痛苦——真的,我没有这个意思。”
Most bitterly he smiled -- most decidedly he withdrew his hand from mine.
他苦笑着——非常坚决地把手抽了回去。
"And now you recall your promise, and will not go to India at all, I presume?"
“我想,现在你收回你的允诺,根本不去印度了,是吗?”
said he, after a considerable pause.
一阵相当长的静默之后他说。
"Yes, I will, as your assistant," I answered.
“不,我要去的,当你的助手,”我回答。
A very long silence succeeded.
接着是一阵很长的沉默。