"He does -- he has asked me to be his wife."
“他确实是这样——他求我做他的妻子。”
Diana clapped her hands.
黛安娜拍手叫好。
"That is just what we hoped and thought!
“这正是我们的愿望和想法呢!
And you will marry him, Jane, won't you?
你会嫁给他的,简,是吗?
And then he will stay in England."
那样他就会留在英国了。”
"Far from that, Diana; his sole idea in proposing to me is to procure a fitting fellow-labourer in his Indian toils."
“他才不会呢,黛安娜。他向我求婚只有一个意思,那就是为他在印度的苦役找个合适的伙伴。”
"What! He wishes you to go to India?"
“什么!他希望你去印度?”
"Yes."
“不错。”
"Madness!" she exclaimed.
“简直疯了!”她嚷到。
"You would not live three months there, I am certain.
“我敢肯定,你在那里住不满三十月。
You never shall go: you have not consented, have you, Jane?"
你决不能去,你没有同意,是吧,简?”
"I have refused to marry him" ----
“我已经拒绝嫁给他——”
"And have consequently displeased him?" she suggested.
“结果使他不高兴了?”她提醒说。
"Deeply: he will never forgive me, I fear:
“很不高兴,我担心他永远不会原谅我。
yet I offered to accompany him as his sister."
不过我提出作为他的妹妹陪他去。”
"It was frantic folly to do so, Jane.
“那真是傻到极点了,简。
Think of the task you undertook -- one of incessant fatigue, where fatigue kills even the strong, and you are weak.
想一想你要干的事吧——累个没完的,身强力壮的人都会给累死,更何况你又那么弱。
St. John -- you know him -- would urge you to impossibilities: with him there would be no permission to rest during the hot hours;
圣·约翰——你知道他——会怂恿你去干做不到的事情。你要是跟着他,就是大热天也不让歇口气。
and unfortunately, I have noticed, whatever he exacts, you force yourself to perform.
可惜就我所见,凡是他强求你做的,你都逼着自己去完成。
I am astonished you found courage to refuse his hand.
你倒是有勇气拒绝他的求婚,我真感到惊讶,
You do not love him then, Jane?"
那么你是不爱他了,简?”
"Not as a husband."
“不是把他当作丈夫来爱。”
"Yet he is a handsome fellow."
“不过他是个漂亮的家伙。”
"And I am so plain, you see, Die.
“而我又长得那么平庸,你知道,黛。
We should never suit."
我们决不般配。”
"Plain! You? Not at all.
“平庸!你?绝对不是。
You are much too pretty, as well as too good, to be grilled alive in Calcutta."
你太漂亮,也太好了,不值得那么活活地放到加尔各答去烤。
And again she earnestly conjured me to give up all thoughts of going out with her brother.
”她再次真诚地恳求我放弃同她兄长一起出国的一切念头。