All men of talent, whether they be men of feeling or not;
一切有才能的人,无论有无感情,
whether they be zealots, or aspirants, or despots --
无论是狂热者、还是追求者,抑或暴君——
provided only they be sincere -- have their sublime moments, when they subdue and rule.
只要是诚恳的——在征服和统治期间都有令人崇敬的时刻。
I felt veneration for St. John -- veneration so strong that its impetus thrust me at once to the point I had so long shunned.
我崇敬圣·约翰——那么五体投地,结果所产生的冲击力一下子把我推到了我久久回避的那一点上。
I was tempted to cease struggling with him -- to rush down the torrent of his will into the gulf of his existence, and there lose my own.
我很想停止同他搏斗——很想让他意志的洪流急速注入他生活的海峡,与我的水乳交融。
I was almost as hard beset by him now as I had been once before, in a different way, by another.
现在我被他所困扰,几乎就象当初我受到另一个人的不同方式的困扰一样,
I was a fool both times.
两次我都做了傻瓜,
To have yielded then would have been an error of principle;
在当时让步会是原则上的错误;
to have yielded now would have been an error of judgment.
而现在让步就会犯判断的错误。
So I think at this hour, when I look back to the crisis through the quiet medium of time:
所以此时此刻我想,当我透过时间的平静中介,回头去看那危机时,
I was unconscious of folly at the instant.
当初我并没有意识到自己的愚蠢。
I stood motionless under my hierophant's touch.
我一动不动地站着,受着我的圣师的触摸。
My refusals were forgotten -- my fears overcome -- my wrestlings paralysed.
我忘却了拒绝——克服了恐惧——停止了搏斗。
The Impossible -- i.e. my marriage with St. John -- was fast becoming the Possible.
不可能的事——也就是我与圣·约翰的婚姻——很快要成为可能了。
All was changing utterly with a sudden sweep.
猛地一阵风过,全都变了样。
Religion called -- Angels beckoned -- God commanded --
宗教在呼唤——天使在招手——上帝在指挥——
life rolled together like a scroll -- death's gates opening, showed eternity beyond:
生命被卷起,好像书卷——死亡之门打开了,露出了彼岸的永恒。
it seemed, that for safety and bliss there, all here might be sacrificed in a second.
后来,为了那里的安全和幸福,顷刻之间这里什么都可以牺牲。
The dim room was full of visions.
阴暗的房间里充满了幻象。
"Could you decide now?" asked the missionary.
“你现在就能决定吗?”传教士问。