The inquiry was put in gentle tones: he drew me to him as gently.
这问活的语调很温柔,他同样温柔地把我拉向他。
Oh, that gentleness!
呵,那么温柔!
how far more potent is it than force!
它比强迫要有力得多!
I could resist St. John's wrath: I grew pliant as a reed under his kindness.
我能抵御圣·约翰的愤怒,但面对他的和善,我便像芦苇一般柔顺了。
Yet I knew all the time, if I yielded now, I should not the less be made to repent, some day, of my former rebellion.
但我始终很清楚,要是我现在让步,有一天我照样会对我以前的叛逆感到懊悔。
His nature was not changed by one hour of solemn prayer: it was only elevated.
他的本性并不因为一小时的庄严析祷而改变,只不过升华了而已。
"I could decide if I were but certain," I answered:
“只要有把握,我就能决定,”我回答:
"were I but convinced that it is God's will I should marry you,
“只要能说服我嫁给你确实是上帝的意志,
I could vow to marry you here and now -- come afterwards what would!"
那我此时此刻就可以发誓嫁给你——不管以后会发生什么?”
"My prayers are heard!" ejaculated St. John.
“我的祈祷应验了!”圣·约翰失声叫道。
He pressed his hand firmer on my head, as if he claimed me:
他的手在我头上压得更紧了,仿佛他己经把我要去了。
he surrounded me with his arm, almost as if he loved me
他用胳膊搂住我,几乎像是爱着我
(I say almost -- I knew the difference -- for I had felt what it was to be loved;
(我说“几乎”——我知道这中间的差别——因为我曾感受过被爱的滋味。
but, like him, I had now put love out of the question, and thought only of duty).
但是像他一样,我已把爱置之度外,想的只是职守了)。
I contended with my inward dimness of vision, before which clouds yet rolled.
我在疑云翻滚的内心同不明朗的态度斗争着。
I sincerely, deeply, fervently longed to do what was right; and only that.
我诚恳地、深深地、热切地期望去做对的事情,也只做对的事情。
"Show me, show me the path!"
“给我指点一下——给我指点一下道路吧?”
I entreated of Heaven.
我祈求上苍。
I was excited more than I had ever been; and whether what followed was the effect of excitement the reader shall judge.
我从来没有像现在那么激动过。至于后来发生的事情是不是激动的结果,读者自可判断。