"In a few more hours I shall succeed you in that track, cousin," thought I:
“几小时之后我会循着你的足迹,表兄,”我想:
"I too have a coach to meet at Whitcross.
“我也要去惠特克劳斯搭乘马车。
I too have some to see and ask after in England, before I depart for ever."
在永远告别英国之前,我也有人要探望和问候。”
It wanted yet two hours of breakfast-time.
离早餐还有两个小时。
I filled the interval in walking softly about my room, and pondering the visitation which had given my plans their present bent.
这段时间我在房间里轻轻地走来走去,思忖着促成我眼前这番计划的奇事。
I recalled that inward sensation I had experienced: for I could recall it, with all its unspeakable strangeness.
我回忆着我所经历的内在感觉,我能回想起那种难以言说的怪异。
I recalled the voice I had heard;
我回想着我听到的声音,
again I questioned whence it came, as vainly as before: it seemed in me -- not in the external world.
再次像以前那样徒劳地问,它究竟从何而来。这声音似乎来自我内心——而不是外部世界。
I asked was it a mere nervous impression -- a delusion?
我问道,难道这不过是一种神经质的印象——一种幻觉?
I could not conceive or believe: it was more like an inspiration.
我既无法想象,也并不相信。它更像是神灵的启示。
The wondrous shock of feeling had come like the earthquake which shook the foundations of Paul and Silas's prison;
这惊人的震感来势猛似地震,摇撼了保尔和西拉所在的监狱的地基,
it had opened the doors of the soul's cell and loosed its bands --
它打开了心灵的牢门,松开了锁链,——
it had wakened it out of its sleep, whence it sprang trembling, listening, aghast;
把心灵从沉睡中唤醒,它呆呆地颤栗着,倾听着。
then vibrated thrice a cry on my startled ear, and in my quaking heart and through my spirit, which neither feared nor shook,
随后一声尖叫震动了三次,冲击着我受惊的耳朵,沉入我震颤的心田,穿透了我心灵。心灵既不害怕,也没有震惊,
but exulted as if in joy over the success of one effort it had been privileged to make, independent of the cumbrous body.
而是欢喜雀跃,仿佛因为有幸不受沉重的躯体支配,作了一次成功的努力而十分高兴似的。
"Ere many days," I said, as I terminated my musings,
“不要很多天,”我从沉思中回过神来后说。
"I will know something of him whose voice seemed last night to summon me.
“我会了解到他的一些情况,昨晚他的声音已经召唤过我。
Letters have proved of no avail -- personal inquiry shall replace them."
信函问询已证明毫无结果——我要代之以亲自探访。”