Tea is the most popular drink in the world.
茶是世界上最出名的饮品。
And there are countless ways we make and consume it.
我们泡茶和喝茶的方式不计其数。
But if you wanna drink tea in the oldest way we still know of,
但如果你想用我们所知的最古老的方式喝茶,
you'll first need to hike deep into the remote Tea Mountains of Southwest China
你首先需要徒步深入中国西南偏远的茶山,
and handpick leaves and buds from tea trees that are hundreds of years old.
从几百年的茶树上手工采摘茶树叶芽。
It's a long way to go for authentic Chinese tea,
追寻真正的中国茶还有很长的路要走,
but one person is doing it.
但是有一个人在做这件事。
This Great Big Story was made possible by UBS
本期节目由UBS提供支持。
My name's Shunan Tang, I'm the owner of Tea Drunk, which is a tea house in New York City.
我叫唐淑楠,是纽约一家茶馆Tea Drunk的老板。
We specialize in historic Chinese tea.
我们专营中国历史名茶。
Historic tea is really representing a pinnacle of tea culture.
历史名茶是茶文化的巅峰。
And these teas are usually not mass produced.
而且这些茶通常不是批量生产的。
And they're trying to be as authentic to the tea as possible.
要试图尽可能真实地对待茶。
It's almost like a masterpiece of music played versus a practice or a original piece of art work versus the copies.
这几乎就像是演奏的音乐杰作与练习的对比,或是一件原创的艺术作品与复制品的对比。
The masterpiece tea, so to speak, comes from ancient tea trees that grow in the wild.
名茶来自于野生的古老茶树。
They only bud for 15 days out of the year.
它们一年中只发芽15天。
So Shunan must race each spring to find the trees and harvest them in time with the help of local farmers.
所以唐淑楠每年春天都要在当地茶农的帮助下,快速寻找茶树,及时收获。
The best tea trees are always on some the hardest to get to places because they need to be on very steep slopes.
最好的茶树总是在一些最难到达的地方,它们需要生长在非常陡峭的斜坡上。
We usually motorcycle a little bit.
我们通常要骑摩托车。
Sometimes we tread water. Sometimes we climb.
有时我们要涉水,有时要爬树。
In this region is not uncommon for tea trees to grow for several hundred years.
在这个地区,几百年的茶树并不少见。
These tea trees right now is at its prime.
这些茶树现在正处于盛年。
And this is what tea is meant to taste like.
这就是茶的味道。
Mm, tasty.
味道真好。
Once we pick the tea, we need to spread it out in a whole area where the water can travel out before we can wok fry the tea.
我们采摘茶叶后,需要把它们放在一个可以渗水的地方摊满,然后我们才能炒茶。
This step is to kill the enzymes so the tea's fermentation can be stopped.
这一步是杀死酶,以停止茶的发酵。
Then we take the tea leaves out, and then we roll the tea.
然后我们把茶叶拿出来,翻动茶叶。
Once the sun dry the tea, you need to pick out any discoloration.
当太阳晒干了茶叶,你就需要挑出所有褪色的。
This sorting process usually takes months to finish because we do have to do them one by one with every single tea.
这样的整理过程通常需要几个月才能完成,因为我们必须一片一片地整理。
Months will go by before this tea is ready to be poured out, but the journey is well worth it to Shannan.
几个月过去了,我们才准备好吧这批茶倒出来,但这段旅程对唐淑楠来说是值得的。
Those extreme, fine points in taste the tea offers us.
这些茶给我们带来的极致的、精致的味道。
I think it provides us a level of joy that's beyond anything else.
我认为它给我们带来了超越一切的快乐。
And my job here is to preserve this art and hopefully even push it to a new height.
我在这里的工作就是保护这门艺术,希望能把它推向一个新的高度。