It's often states and regions and small nations that can step in when the bigger countries fail to act.
我们的组织通常是国家、地区和小国可以参与,就在大国不能很好地发挥作用的时候。
So when Trump disgracefully took America out of the Paris Agreement, it was a coalition of states and cities that kept the momentum going.
所以当可耻的川普政府让美国退出《巴黎协定》的时候,正是我们国家和城市的联盟保持了这种势头。
And if we raise our ambition and if we follow that through with action, then we can spark the bigger countries to go further and faster, too.
假若我们能有雄心壮志,并贯彻执行,我们将会激励大国在这条路上走的更远和更快。
And there's one final point where our voice and our contribution matters.
到最后,我们的想法和贡献是极其重要的。
So often it's states or devolved nations like Scotland that have to respond most directly to the impacts of climate change: heatwaves, floods, hurricanes.
所以通常是国家或像苏格兰这样的权力下放国家必须最直接地应对气候变化的影响——热浪,洪水和飓风。
We have to deal with the implications.
我们必须处理这些影响。
Now, for Scotland, California and New South Wales that's difficult but manageable.
现在对于苏格兰、加利福尼亚州和新南威尔士州,是个难题,不过还能应付。
For many others across the world, it is not.
但对于世界上其他国家,就不是这样。
So climate justice matters, too.
所以对气候问题的公道也很重要。
It’s not enough to cut our own emissions, although that is vital; we have to make sure we are helping those who have done the least to cause climate change to do so too.
仅仅是减少本国碳排放是不够的,虽然这很重要;我们还要确保能够帮助那些对气候变化付出最小的国家也作出一份贡献。
And with the spirit of justice and fairness absolutely at the heart of that.
并将公平及公正的信念完完全全地揣在心中。
So to conclude, my message today is that countries of all shapes and sizes must step up to this challenge.
总结一下,今天我想表达的是,无论国家是怎样都必须加紧应对这一挑战。
We cannot allow our size to be something that we hide behind.
我们不能让面积的大小成为我们躲藏的借口。
When it comes to tackling climate change, size really, really does not matter.
在应对气候变化方面,规模真的、真的无关紧要。
We must think big in our ambition.
我们必须有抱负。
We must act big in what we do, and we must be big when it comes to the impact we make.
我们必须在工作中展示我们的才能,也必须有野心去产生强大的影响。
Thank you very much.
非常感谢您们。
First Minister, thank you.
首席部长,谢谢你。
I would like to ask a couple of questions because you mentioned the wind farms up north, but there is a new field opening up in the north, it is an oil field, the Cambo oil field.
我想问你几个问题,因为你刚才提到了北边的风力发电场,但那北方有新的发展,是块油田,坎博油田。
It’s been licensed by the UK government, and a few weeks ago you wrote to the prime minister of the UK government, and you asked him to reassess that field and the licensing in view of the climate emergency.
由英国政府授权,并且几个星期以前,你曾写信给英国首相,要求他考虑到气候紧急情况,重新评估这个领域和许可。
There's also a growing movement in Scotland against that project.
苏格兰也有越来越多的反对该项目的运动。
What are people to make of opening up a new gigantic oil field while at the same time pushing for decarbonizing policies at COP?
人们将可以如何开辟一个新的巨大油田,在缔约方会议推动脱碳政策的同时?
I think people are right to ask big questions and be concerned.
人们提出重大问题,并感到担忧是正常的。
Oil and gas is important to Scotland.
油气对苏格兰很重要。
It has been for four, almost five decades important to fulfilling our energy needs, but it's important to our economy.
对满足我们将近五十年能源的需求是很重要的,但它们对经济也很重要。
But if we're not prepared to ask ourselves the hard questions, we're not really facing up to this challenge.
但如果我们没有准备好向自己询问这些难题,我们未准备好去面对这个挑战。
We can't switch fossil fuels off overnight, but we must accelerate the transition away from them.
我们亦不能一夜之间停止使用化石燃料,但我们必须加快转型,减少使用。
And therefore the question is: Is new exploration consistent with that?
那么问题来了:我们新的探索与其一致吗?
And that's the question I posed to the prime minister where the power over this lies.
这也是我向首相提出的问题,因为一切的权力都在他手里。
Yes, we need to make sure that we make the transition sustainably and fairly.
是的,我们需要确保能够实现持续的和平稳的转型。
But if we just rely on new exploration of the old ways of doing things, I think the question is whether we do that at the pace we are required to do.
但如果我们过于依赖那从旧方法而来的新探索的话,问题就在于是否符合我们要求的处理步调。
So a country like Scotland, we can't just answer the easy questions.
那么像苏格兰这样的国家,就不能只解决简单的问题。
We've got to face up to the hard questions as well.
我们也要尝试去解决一些难题。
But we must make sure the transition is just — just for people, for communities and for the planet as a whole.
但我们必须要明确这种转变,是为了人类、为了社会和为了全地球。
And that's what we are committed to seeking, to show leadership on.
这就是我们要探索的事物和展现的领导力。
What was your exact demand? Redraw the lines? Suspend it? Change it? Reanalyze it?
具体要求是什么?重新再画线,暂停或更改,或再重新分析吗?
Well, the license was granted 20 years ago.
这个许可证在20年前已经批准了。
There is a process now it has to go through to get approval for development.
现在,它必须经过一个程序才能得到开发许可。
And my argument is just if a company was now applying for a new licence, there would have to be a climate compatibility check.
而我的看法是如果一家公司现在申请新的许可证,则必须进行气候兼容性检查。
Now, arguably that's not robust enough, but the same thing should happen if our existing license is turned into development consent.
也许现在的检查手段还不是很健全,但会促成过去的重演,如果我们将现有的许可证转变成开发许可。
And that's the process I think should happen.
那么在开发过程中,终会将一切重演。
We've got to be careful that we don't leave communities and people behind in that transition.
我们需要保持谨慎,不会在过渡过程中将社区和人民抛在脑后。
We've got to be careful we don't switch domestic production to imports of oil and gas.
我们要保持谨慎,不要将国内生产转变为进口油气。
That would be counterproductive.
那会适得其反。
So the way in which we make the transition matters.
因此,我们进行过渡的方式很重要。
But we can’t have a business as usual.
也不能像以前一样做事情了。
Because if we keep telling ourselves we can rely on fossil fuels forever, then we'll never meet that transition.
因为如果我们不断告诉自己可以永远依赖化石燃料,将无法达到转型的目的。
And that's the key point I think we've got to address.
我认为这是我们必须解决的关键问题。
Let's hope it goes in that direction.
愿一切步入正轨。
First Minister, thank you for coming to TED.
首席部长,感谢您做客TED。
Thank you.
谢谢你。