So how do we do what we do?
但我们具体是怎么做的?
Attachment.
建立依附关系。
We offer a three-year undergraduate fellowship to college-aged Black men.
我们为上大学的黑人男性提供三年本科奖学金。
Our criteria are simple.
我们的规则很简单,
You got to have a 2.5, be enrolled at least half-time in college and obviously be a Black male.
你的平均成绩必须达到2.5,且要有至少一半以上的学时,而重点是,你必须是一位黑人男性。
The first year, the program is just an observation year, we like to take a gradual, slow approach to teaching.
第一年只是观察期,我们希望采用循序渐进的方式。
We have an old saying in New Orleans: “You can’t microwave gumbo.”
在纽奥良有一个俗谚:你不能直接用微波炉加热秋葵汤。
You've got to slow-cook it.
必须要慢慢地烹煮。
And that's the approach we take with teachers.
而这也是我们对老师们采取的原则。
Year one is a simple observation, you may lead homework activities, recreational activities for 10 or 12 hours a week.
第一年只是简单的观察时期,你可以负责引导他们完成功课,或是带领一些休闲活动一周总共10至12个小时。
Year two and three are your lab development years where you learn the pedagogy, classroom management, shadowing teachers, lesson planning, things of that nature.
第二至第三年期间,是实际展开研究的阶段。你需要学习教学法,以及班级管理方式、向其他老师学习,制定学习计划,学习各种与教学相关的事。
It all culminates in placement into the classroom.
直到进入课堂正式教学为止。
But the really special sauce of our program is our internal, personal and professional development, the Cipher series.
不过,我们这个计划最重要的特点,我们注重内在和个人专业的发展。
The Cipher series is where young men get a chance to break down and dissect, sort of recalibrate their compasses, if you will, in regards to being a Black man in this world today, but also being a Black man in education.
就像悬疑小说系列Cipher 一样,Cipher 系列小说的内容主要就是一群男孩重新剖析自我,并且重新为自己的人生校正的故事,如果你愿意的话,是关于现今这个世界,作为一个黑人男性,一个教育界的黑人男性。
Our topics of discourse range from masculinity, résumés, networking, relationships, you name it.
我们会谈论到的主题包含了男子气概的刚毅、撰写履历、经营人际网络、人际关系...等等。
See what we’re trying to do is really push this envelope in regards to attachment.
我们想做的事,是期望能够建立最紧密的依附关系。
We take a holistic approach to education.
我们希望采取全方位的教育方式。
We develop good people.
培育出良善的好人。
And then in turn they manifest into great educators, people over pedigrees, dispositions over degrees.
进而让他们成为优秀的教育者,不论他们的出身或家世,无关他们的身份地位。
I think about our first fellow, Alex Halstead.
我想起我们的第一位伙伴艾力克斯·哈斯蒂德。
Dillard University attendee, arbitrary major.
当时到迪拉德大学听课,没有明确的主修科系。
Like a lot of our young Black men, walking around Dillard’s campus, not much direction.
就像许多黑人青少年一样,就在迪拉德大学校园内游荡,没抱持着什么特别的目标。
Creative writing major, didn't have a plan, was told to go to school like a lot of us was told to go to school because it's the right thing to say from your parents.
主要修创意写作相关的课程,实际上却没有什么规划,他和我们一样,都曾被要求在学校里好好念书,因为这是我们父母认为最正确的选择。
Alex had no true direction.
不过艾力克斯没有特别的人生规划。
Alex came to our program, we put Alex in front of the kids.
他来到我们的计划,我们让艾力克斯站在孩子们面前。
He became a mirror, but also they became a mirror for him as well.
他成为孩子们的典范,而他也将孩子们视为学习的对象。
See, it’s a double reflection when Black kids see a Black male and then a Black male sees a Black kid.
你们看,这就是一个双向的投射。当黑人孩子们看见一位黑人男性,而这位黑人男性也注意到这些黑人孩子们。
They reflect for themselves, and that's what we do.
他们是彼此相互投射的对象,而这就是我们想达成的效果。
We create the connection to the classroom for a demographic and a group that hasn't been represented as far as education as long as I can remember.
我们为一个人口统计学上的群体创造了与课堂的联系,这个群体在我的记忆中还没有被代表过。
They were removed from the conversation from an intellectual standpoint as students, but also as teachers.
不管是学生还是教师,他们总是被排除在知识对话之外。
As I think about it, man, I think three, five, 10 years from now, if we circle back to the conversation about what do you want to be,
每当我想起这样的事,我会思考在将来的三年、五年、十年后,如果我们再一次提起这个问题:你长大之后想做什么?
and I pose that question again to my young boys, maybe we can add a couple of names to those lists.
再一次询问我那些年轻的学生们,也许我们可以想到更多的代表人物。
Maybe we can say Kevin Durant, LeBron James and also Mr. Halstead, and maybe even Mr. Irving.
可能是凯文·杜兰特、詹皇,也可能是哈斯蒂德先生,甚至可能是厄文先生。
Yeah. Mr. Irving. I like the ring of that.
没错,就是厄文先生。听起来挺耳熟的,还不错。
Thank you.
谢谢大家。