In my own home village of Kasama in rural Zambia, a beautiful and brilliant young girl named Chomba faces the exact same fate of not being able to continue her education.
在我自己的家乡赞比亚的农村,一个美丽而聪明的女孩名叫Chomba面临完全相同的命运,无法继续她的学业。
Because, you see, they don’t have access to the internet.
因为他们无法上网。
And the longer the pandemic rages on, the further and further and further away her dream of becoming a medical doctor go,
而且,疫情持续的时间越长,离她成为医生的梦想就越来越远,
and the higher her chances become of becoming a teenage mum or getting married off as a teenager.
她成为少女妈妈的机会就越来越大,也可能在青少年时期结婚。
Many of us use the internet for so many things, even if it was just talking to our parents on video calls.
我们中的许多人使用互联网做很多事情,即使只是通过视频通话与我们的父母交谈。
And we did so without a second thought to those without internet.
我们完全没有想过那些没有互联网的人。
Did it ever cross your mind how they, those without internet, were coping?
你有没有想过她们是怎样的,那些没有互联网的人,正在面临什么?
We live in a digital age where access to the internet is no longer a nice-to-have; it is a definite must-have.
我们生活在数字时代,上网不再是可有可无的,而是绝对必备的。
The internet provides a tool for us to engage in democratic conversations.
互联网为我们提供了参与民主对话的工具。
We have a voice in spaces that were previously a preserve of the few,
我们在空间中有发言权,以前那只保留给少数人,
whereas before only those who could go to TV stations, radio stations that have access to newspaper interviews had a say,
以前只有那些可以去电视台、广播电台、接受报纸采访的人有发言权,
now everybody can speak about issues that affect them.
现在每个人都可以谈论影响他们的问题。
Just in the last few years, we have seen the power of the internet used to connect people from across the world.
就在最近几年,我们已经看到了互联网的力量,可以连接世界各地的人们。
People who don't even speak each other's languages have been able to rally together to fight against things like racism, sexism, climate change and so much more.
甚至彼此语言不相通,也能够团结在一起,与种族主义、性别歧视、气候变化等问题作斗争。
And globally, over two billion people do not have access to the internet. Two billion.
全球范围内,有超过20亿的人没办法上网,20亿。
So why should that number of two billion people concern you?
那为什么要关注这20亿人呢?
As I mentioned, the internet gives power to people to contribute to their economies, to contribute to politics and to social issues.
正如我所提到的,互联网赋予人们权力,为他们的经济做出贡献,为政治和社会问题做出贡献。
Let me put the economic contribution into context.
让我们把经济贡献放在一个背景下。
My home country of Zambia relies on agriculture.
我的家乡赞比亚以农业为主。
We place a lot of emphasis on agriculture, and rightly so.
我们非常重视农业,这是对的。
Because 60 percent of the Zambian population relies on agriculture for their livelihoods.
因为赞比亚60%的人口以农业为生。
That’s according to United Nations statistics.
这是联合国的统计数据。
And yet, when we look at the numbers, agriculture contributes only 7.5 percent to the country’s GDP most years.
然而当我看到这些数字时,大多数年份农业对国内生产总值的贡献仅占7.5%。
So 60 percent of the population is relying on something that contributes 7.5 percent to the GDP.
所以60%的人赖以为生的生计,对GDP的贡献仅有7.5%。
In contrast, data from 2019 showed that one developed nation was able to get 10 percent of its GDP contribution from the power of the internet, not technology more broadly, the internet.
相比之下,2019年的数据显示,发达国家借助互联网的力量能够获得其GDP贡献的10%,不是更广泛的技术,而是互联网。
Can you imagine what would happen if more people had access to the internet?
你能想象如果更多的人可以借助互联网会发展如何吗?
And lest we forget, access to the internet would give Chomba in my home village the right to learn.
以免我们忘记,访问互联网将使我家乡的Chomba获得学习的权利。
She would be able to go to school and get closer to realizing her dream of contributing to the health sector.
她可以去上学,更接近她为卫生事业做出贡献的梦想。
We need to act now.
我们需要立即采取行动。
We need to actively and collectively ensure that going forward, everyone has access to a free, fair and feminist internet.
我们需要共同积极推进使每个人都可以免费获得公平和女性可用的互联网。
We cannot afford to look away simply because we are comfortable and we have access.
我们不能因为我们能上网就不去关注这个现状。
Because we need the contribution of the two billion.
因为我们需要那20亿人的贡献。
We need them contributing to the economies of our countries.
我们需要他们为我国的经济做出贡献。
We need their voices in politics.
我们需要他们在政治上的声音。
We need their voices on social issues.
我们需要他们在社会问题上发表意见。