Have you ever bathed under a light that creates the glow of a full moon, sculpted beaches into miniature mountains or breathed in the aroma of Earth’s first trees?
你有没有沐浴过满月之光,把沙滩雕成小山,或者享受地球古木的芬芳?
These are some of the artworks I’ve made to come to an understanding of deep time.
这些是我试着理解“深时”时创造的一些艺术作品。
But what is deep time, and why does it matter to us all?
但是“深时”是什么,和我们又有什么关系?
The term describes the history of the Earth over a time span of millions of years.
这个词语描述了地球历经几百万年以来的历史。
My first encounter with deep time came after I’d finished my studies, had no job and didn’t know what to do.
我第一次听说深时是在毕业后待业,也不知道做些什么。
So I took off to work as a chambermaid in the remote north of Iceland.
我就出发去遥远的北冰岛做服务员。
I was tilted on my axis and began a series of explorations to try to figure out how to tell the story of deep time.
我偏离了我人生的轨道,开始了一系列探索,试图搞明白如何讲述“深时”。
This has been the quest of my work, and it’s taken me through the cosmos, the geological strata of the Earth, to encounters with the earliest forms of life.
这是我作品的追求,它带我穿越宇宙,穿越底层,去寻找生命的初始形态。
In Iceland I realized that we live on a planet.
在冰岛,我意识到我们生活在一个星球上。
By opening my eyes to the primordial landscape, I started to understand we’re not born out of nothing.
我睁开双眼看到原始景观时,我开始理解我们不是“无中生有”。
The sea, the sky, the Earth, the air: we’re made of the same stuff, we coexist.
大海、天空、土壤、空气——我们由同样的物质组成,我们共存。
In just my lifetime, we humans have become a geological force.
就在我的人生这短短几年中,我们人类成为了一种改变地质的力量。
We’ve caused glaciers around the world to melt entirely.
我们让全球的冰川完全融化。
I wanted to bring these distant landscapes closer to our lives in a visceral way.
我发自肺腑地想让这些遥远的自然地形靠近我们的生活。
So of course, I set up a phone line.
所以当然了,我开通了一个热线电话。
People everywhere could dial a number and listen live to the sound of a glacier melting.
世界各地的人们可以拨打这个电话,直播聆听冰川融化的声音。
It was an elegy to disappearing landscape.
这是景观消逝的挽歌。
Can we connect to deep time via sensory experience?
我们可以把感官体验和深时联结起来吗?
This artwork, called “Totality,” brings together nearly every solar eclipse documented by humankind in a mirror ball.
这件艺术品叫做《全食》(Totality),通过镜球记录了人类记载的几乎所有日食。
Over 10,000 images reflect the progression of a solar eclipse.
用一万多张图片反映了日食的进程。
Their light surrounds us, and we can feel mesmerized.
它们的光芒包围着我们,我们会感到被催眠。
This led me to wonder: What is the color of deep time?
这让我思考:深时是什么颜色的?
I mapped the colors of the entire universe, from its very beginnings to its potential ends, discovering the pale blue hues of the first stars to the dark maroons of the last light.
我为整个宇宙匹配了颜色,从它的初始到可能的终结,从第一颗恒星的淡蓝色到最后一束光的黑月灰色。
Every single atom in our bodies was formed in a star billions of years ago.
我们体内的每一个原子都来自于几十亿年前的恒星。
The remnants of stars make up all of us.
恒星的残余组成了我们所有人。
My vision was to gather every dying star across the universe and make a map.
我的梦想是收集宇宙中每一个濒临死亡的恒星,制成一张地图。
The result: over 27,000 supernova, stellar black holes and gamma-ray bursts shimmer as pinpoints of aluminum.
结果是:超过 27000 个超新星、恒星级黑洞、伽玛射线暴,以铝制针尖标注,发出微弱的光芒。
What you see is a graveyard of stars, yet it alludes to life.
你看到的是恒星墓地,但是它映射了生命。