The journey we humans have been on to arrive right here is nothing short of a miracle.
我们人类踏上的旅途可以被称为“奇迹”。
“Fossil Necklace” is a string of worlds made of the material of life itself.
《化石项链》由一串不同世界生命的材料组成。
Each bead is carved from ancient fossils and strung geological epoch by epoch.
每一粒珠子都由远古化石刻制而来,一个时代接一个时代地锤炼地质。
The beads chart major moments in Earth’s history.
珠子记录了地球历史的重大时刻。
The first single-celled life, the first flowers, the first creatures to see and to fly.
第一个单细胞生命,第一朵花,第一个有视力的生物,第一个能飞的生物。
“Fossil Necklace” speaks to our long continuum.
《化石项链》见证了我们源远流长的历史。
Every day we walk past trees, but do we stop to think that they are our cousins?
每当我们路过树的时候,我们会停下来想一想它们是我们的表亲吗?
We share so many of our genes with trees, and forests give us our breath.
我们和树共享了那么多基因,森林给予了我们呼吸的空气。
I wanted to honor them by creating a sculpture made of every tree type on Earth.
我尊敬它们,我想制作一个由地球上每一种树制成的雕塑。
This is “Hollow.”
这就是《空洞》(Hollow)。
Designed with architects Zeller & Moye, it brings together over 10,000 tree species spanning millions of years.
我与建筑师泽勒和莫伊合作设计,它包含了几百万年间的超过一万种树种。
We were donated wood samples from almost every country: the Indian Banyan, the White Mulberry, the Dawn Redwood and twigs from sacred forests around us.
我们几乎从每个国家都收到了捐赠的木材样本:印度榕树、白桑、水杉、和来自我们身边神圣森林的细枝。
Looking upwards into the light, we see the most threatened tree species of now.
抬头看着光,我们可以看到现在最受威胁的树种。
More recently in my practice, I’ve come to believe that looking forward is just as important as looking back.
我最近工作时,我发现向前看和向后看一样重要。
How do we speak to unborn people?
我们该如何与未出生的人交流?
How do we build a bridge across time?
我们如何建造跨越时间的桥梁?
I thought the world's literary voices may be the best at doing that job, so I proposed a library of the future: a forest, a room, 100 authors and 100 years.
我认为世界上的文学作品已经做得很棒,所以我想提议做一个“未来图书馆”:一座森林、一间屋子、100 个作家, 100 年。
It started in 2014.
始于 2014 年。
On the outskirts of Oslo, we planted a thousand baby Spruce trees.
在奥斯陆郊区,我们种下了一千株云杉幼苗。
When they’re fully grown, they’re going to be cut and made into paper.
它们长成之时,会被砍倒、制成纸张。
Every year for 100 years a different author is invited to write something new.
100 年间的每一年,会邀请一个不同的作家来写下一些新的东西。
Their words will become an anthology of books printed on paper made from these trees, only to be read in the year 2114.
他们的文字会成为书集,印刷在这些树制成的纸张上,只有在 2114 年才能被阅读。
The core of Future Library is time and longevity, but also hope and rituals.
未来图书馆的核心是时间和长寿,还有希望和仪式。
Every spring, we take a pilgrimage to the forest.
每年春天,我们向这片森林朝圣。
Authors hand over their manuscript and announce its title.
作家交出他们的手稿,宣布标题。
Their text will be stored here in Oslo’s new library.
他们的文字会被储存在这座奥斯陆的新图书馆内。
You take off your shoes, you step inside.
你脱掉鞋子,走进去。
Each glass drawer holds a manuscript.
每一个玻璃抽屉里都放着一份手稿。
100 years is not vast in cosmic terms.
100 年对于整个宇宙来说不算很长。
Yet if my young son lives to read the books, his world is likely to have changed beyond recognition.
但是如果我的小儿子能活着看到这些书,他的世界很可能已经发生了天翻地覆的变化。
Will human beings survive to read the books?
人类会活着看到这些书吗?
Future Library is a century-long prayer.
未来图书馆是长达一世纪的祈祷。
Future generations may be invisible to our eyes, but we are connected through our actions.
我们也许看不到未来的人们,但是我们通过行动联结在了一起。
I wanted to see to future readers, “I see you.” “We see you.”
我想对未来的读者说:“我看见你了。”“我们看见你了。”
Why does connecting to deep time matter to us all?
与深时联结和我们有什么关系?
Shortsightedness may be the greatest threat to humanity.
短视也许是人类的最大威胁。
To be human is to understand that we’re part of a long continuum.
作为人类,我们要明白我们是历史长河中的一部分。
Let’s embrace our cosmic context, respect our origins and hold our future close.
让我们拥抱宇宙的古今,尊重我们的起源,紧握未来。
Thank you.
谢谢大家!