手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

核能是摒弃化石燃料的最大希望(中)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Wendy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

But here's the problem.

但这里有一个问题。

Their logic was: nuclear bombs are bad, therefore nuclear energy is bad.

反对核能的人的逻辑是:核弹不好,因此核能也不好。

Which, if you think about it, is like saying: the electric chair is bad, therefore electricity is bad.

如果你仔细想想,这就像是在说:电椅不好,所以电也不好。

The case against nuclear power was never based on science, but the anti-nuclear meme was very catchy.

反对核能的观点没有科学理论支持,但是却流行开来。

In the decades that followed, aspiring engineers didn't choose nuclear engineering.

在接下来的几十年里,满怀抱负的工程师没有选择核工程。

Politicians got points for closing nuclear plants, even though it always led to higher carbon emissions.

政客们因关闭核电站而获得支持,尽管这会导致碳排放增加。

The meme even snuck into people's homes, every Sunday night at eight, without them knowing.

这个观念甚至在每周日晚上8点,不知不觉潜入了人们的家中。

I wish Homer had worked at a coal plant.

我真希望荷马是在一家燃煤发电厂工作。

In the last 10 years, we have spent trillions of dollars on renewables, yet we only get eight percent of our electricity from wind and solar.

在过去的10年里,我们在可再生能源上花费了数万亿美元,但只有8%的电力来自风能和太阳能。

Now, don't get me wrong, I love renewables, but to me, it's clear that we need more.

不要误会,我喜欢可再生能源,但我认为,目前这些可再生能源很明显无法满足我们的需求。

We need a source of energy that's clean and works 24/7 to complement them.

我们需要一种清洁的、全天候工作的能源与可再生能源互补。

And it's been sitting right in front of us this whole time, but we have ignored it because we're too blinded by the meme.

它一直就在我们面前,但我们忽视了它,被一直错误的观念蒙蔽了双眼。

Now most people today aren't exactly anti-nuclear as much as they're "meh."

如今,大多数人与其说是反核,不如说是对其不感兴趣。

Not passionately against it, but they've heard of Chernobyl.

他们不是强烈反对核能,但听说过切尔诺贝利的事故。

They've seen images of leaking green barrels.

他们见过绿色的,泄漏液体的桶的图像。

They have a vague feeling it's bad.

他们隐约感觉核能不好。

And remember, that's where I used to be.

我曾经也是这样想的。

Until I saw this chart.

直到我看到这张图表。

The only thing you need to take away from this chart is that nuclear power has the lowest life cycle emissions of all energy sources, producing only three tons of CO2 per gigawatt hour of electricity.

这张图表的内容你只需要知道一点,在所有能源中,核能的生命周期碳排放量是最低的,生产一千兆瓦时的电力只产生3吨二氧化碳。

And I could keep talking like this all day long, but let's be real, this is not changing minds on social media.

我可以不停说这些东西,但事实是,这并不会改变社交媒体上人们的看法。

So I do things a little bit differently.

所以我做了点与众不同的事情。

The reality is that nuclear is one of the safest forms of energy.

事实上,核能是最安全的能源之一。

The problem is that nuclear accidents are dramatic.

问题在于,核事故是很戏剧性的。

While fossil fuel damage is boring.

而化石燃料带来的伤害就很无聊。

I'm literally falling asleep talking about it.

说得我都要睡着了。

Recent studies say that 8.7 million people die from burning them every year.

最近的研究表明,每年有870万人死于化石燃料燃烧。

This would be like having 5.8 Chernobyls a day.

这相当于一天发生5.8起切尔诺贝利事故。

I'm just a humble influencer, but I think this means fossil fuels are worse.

我只是一个小小的网红,但我认为这说明化石燃料更糟糕。

Most people have a feeling airplanes are more dangerous than cars because when a plane crashes, it makes the headlines.

大多数人认为飞机比汽车更危险,因为飞机坠毁会成为头条新闻。

It's memorable.

更容易让人记住。

Of course, we know the opposite is true.

但我们知道事实恰恰相反。

Planes are significantly safer than cars, just like nuclear power is significantly safer than fossil fuels.

飞机比汽车安全得多,就像核能比化石燃料安全得多一样。

In this next video, Isodope will address the idea that we don't know what to do with nuclear waste.

在接下来的视频中,Isodope将回应我们不知道如何处理核废料的想法。

I'm sure you don't know what to do with it, but there are people who spent decades studying this issue.

你肯定不知道怎么处理核废料,但有人花了几十年的时间研究这个问题。

They're called scientists.

他们被称为科学家。

Finland is almost done building the world's first nuclear waste repository.

芬兰即将建成世界上第一个核废料处置场。

They're storing it deep underground in geologically stable locations.

将核废料埋在地下深处地质结构稳定的地方。

Sweden is about to do the same.

瑞典将紧随其后。

I know you're worried about what may happen 19,000 years from now, but...

我知道你很担心19000年后会发生什么,但……

Again, just a humble influencer, but we might not make it that far if we keep burning fossil fuels.

再说一次,我只是一个小小的网红,但如果我们继续燃烧化石燃料,我们可能都活不了这么久。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
complement ['kɔmplimənt]

想一想再看

n. 补足物,补语,余角
vt. 辅助

联想记忆
logic ['lɔdʒik]

想一想再看

n. 逻辑,逻辑学,条理性,推理

联想记忆
boring ['bɔ:riŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 令人厌烦的

 
issue ['iʃju:]

想一想再看

n. 发行物,期刊号,争论点
vi. & vt

 
plane [plein]

想一想再看

adj. 平的,与飞机有关的
n. 飞机,水平

 
vague [veig]

想一想再看

adj. 模糊的,不明确的,犹豫不决的,茫然的

联想记忆
stable ['steibl]

想一想再看

adj. 稳定的,安定的,可靠的
n. 马厩,

联想记忆
source [sɔ:s]

想一想再看

n. 发源地,来源,原始资料

 
memorable ['memərəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 值得纪念的,难忘的

 
dramatic [drə'mætik]

想一想再看

adj. 戏剧性的,引人注目的,给人深刻印象的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。