My life completely changed with one tweet.
一条推文彻底改变了我的生活。
This was back in 2015 when Twitter was mostly a place we went to see what Kanye was mad about.
这要追溯到2015年,当时我们用推特主要是为了看侃爷又在发什么疯。
But then I saw it.
但后来,我看到了这个。
A tweet by a scientist I deeply admire, Dr.Carolyn Porco.
一位我非常敬佩的科学家,卡罗琳·波尔科发的一条推文。
Wait, I thought nuclear energy was bad.
慢着,我当时以为核能是不好的。
Yet here is a scientist and a TED speaker making it sound good.
但是这位身为科学家和TED演讲者的卡罗琳,说核能是好东西。
It sent me on a journey, I spent years reading papers, talking to scientists, and I always asked them the same question: What do you think about nuclear power?
它让我踏上了一段旅程,我花了几年时间阅读论文,与科学家交谈,我总是问他们同样的一个问题:你对核能有什么看法?
Their responses were shockingly similar.
他们的反应惊人地相似。
It's good.
核能很好。
We need it.
我们需要核能。
People hate it.
但人们讨厌核能。
In the last seven years, I've seen climate change go from being a scary thing of the future to being a scary thing of the present.
在过去的七年里,我目睹了气候变化从遥不可及的恐怖未来变成了近在咫尺的威胁。
My wake-up call came after seeing the fires ravage the world in California, in Australia and in my home country of Brazil.
在目睹肆虐全球的大火席卷加州、澳大利亚和我的祖国巴西后,我幡然醒悟。
I decided I wanted to turn my growing sense of anger and despair into something helpful and productive.
我决定把我日益积攒的愤怒和绝望转化为对人类发展有益且有效的东西。
So I had an unusual idea: I should be a nuclear energy influencer.
因此,我有了一个不同寻常的想法:我应该成为一名推广核能的网红。
I wanted to make nuclear energy cool.
我想让核能变得很酷。
Inspired by internet culture, I created a digital version of me and called her Isodope.
受网络文化的启发,我创造了一个虚拟形象,并给她取名为Isodope。
She's sassy, a little weird, but she always tells the truth.
她很时髦,而且有点怪异,但总是说真话。
And here, you can see her in action.
在这里,我想给你们看看她的表演。
Hey, guys, a lot of you have been asking about my make-up routine.
嘿,伙计们,你们很多人都问我化妆的步骤。
The most important thing is make sure you wash your face really well, because we want those pores as clean as we want our electricity.
最重要的是认真洗脸,让毛孔像我们的电力一样清洁。
And the best way to get that is to use this cleanser called- stop shutting down nuclear plants, for Christ's sake.
要做到这一点,最好的方法就是使用这款洗面奶,它的名字叫做“看在上帝的份上,不要再关闭核电站了”。
It's carbon-free, emission-free, pollution-free electricity.
这是一种零碳、零排放、零污染的电力。
Then I use this plant-based serum called- when a nuclear plant is shut down, it is replaced by fossil fuels. That's bad.
然后我会使用这种纯植物提取精华,叫做“核电站关闭后,它会被化石燃料取代,那太糟糕了。”
Isodope is like a dealer of good memes.
Isodope就像一个优秀的meme经销商。
When I say meme, you probably think of something like this.
说到meme,你想到的可能是这个。
What I mean by it is a fixed belief or idea, good or bad, that spreads from person to person and defines how we see the world.
但我指的是一种在人与人之间传播,并塑造我们对世界看法的既定信仰或观念,这些信仰或观念可能有好有坏。
For example, people should have equal rights.
例如,人们应该拥有平等的权利。
Birds aren't real.
鸟类不是真实存在的。
It's a thing.
这个说法已经流行开了。
Nuclear energy is bad.
核能是不好的。
When it comes to nuclear power, the world has been sold a bad meme.
就核能来说,全世界都在传播一种不好的看法。
An outdated one.
这种看法是过时的。
Let's go back in time.
让我们回到过去。
It all started with the anti-nuclear movement of the 1970s.
这一切都始于20世纪70年代的反核运动。
The movement was driven in large part by an understandable fear of nuclear weapons.
这场运动在很大程度上始于人类对核武器的恐惧,而这是可以理解的。
And I get it.
我明白这一点。
It must have been terrifying to grow up in the '50s and '60s fearing a nuclear attack.
在20世纪五六十年代长大,担忧核武器的突然袭击,这一定非常可怕。