So what is the secret?
秘诀是什么呢?
I'm here to show you the four steps to start a thriving giving circle.
我要向你展示创建一个蓬勃发展的捐赠圈的四个步骤。
The first step is to create belonging.
第一步是创造归属感。
The concept of people banding together to create change is as old as humanity itself.
人类自诞生以来就明白要联合起来做出改变。
And collective giving has roots in cultures all around the world.
集体捐赠植根于世界各地的文化之中。
But today we don't even talk to our neighbors anymore.
但今天,我们甚至不会和邻居聊天。
But by belonging to something that is bigger than ourselves and the collective power of our dreams and voices, that is what creates that lasting commitment to each other and to change.
但是,让自己身处比个人更大的群体之中,我们的梦想和想法的集体力量,能够让我们对彼此做出进行改变的长久承诺。
Now [with] giving circles, you start with a group.
创建一个捐赠圈,要从一个小组开始。
Friends, neighbors, colleagues.
朋友,邻居,同事。
And you take the time to deepen those relationships.
你会花时间巩固这些关系。
Those folks back in my living room, we basically started as strangers.
在我客厅里的那些人,之前和我素不相识。
But because we ate together and laughed together and shared stories and decided on our shared set of values, we ended up creating a lasting community that gets together year over year.
但我们一起吃饭,一起大笑,一起分享故事,并确定了共同的价值观,我们最终创造了一个稳定的社区,年复一年地聚在一起。
Giving circles make you feel at home.
捐赠圈会给你一种家的感觉。
The second step is to hold space for discourse.
第二步,给大家发表想法的空间。
It can be completely, completely overwhelming to know how to make an impact as an individual.
大家可能很难接受就靠一个人创造影响。
But in a giving circle, you have the opportunity to learn together.
但在捐赠圈里,大家有机会一起学习。
Dozens of people engaging in challenging conversations, getting new perspectives about the issues in their communities.
数十人进行具有挑战性的对话,为社区里的问题提供新见解。
We work across differences and ideologies and viewpoints.
我们的合作伴随差异、分歧和不同的观点。
But because everyone has an equal voice, we always walk in with something to share and walk away with something learned.
但因为每个人都有平等的发言权,我们总是带着想要分享的内容来,带着学到的东西去。
And back in my living room, we’re tackling the hardest part: to decide where are we giving together.
再次回到我的起居室,这时我们正在解决最困难的问题:决定捐款的去向。
So we'll learn and then we'll vote, and we'll discuss, and we'll change our minds.
我们学习,然后投票、讨论、改变意见。
And then we'll change our minds again.
然后再次调整意见。
But beyond fail, we always come to an agreement at the end because we come with an open heart and an open mind.
但我们不会谈崩,总能在最后达成协议,因为我们都怀着开放的心和思想来到这里。
Now giving circle, is not about me or you.
捐赠圈不是你或我。
It's about us together.
是我们在一起。
And once we have shared and discussed, the third step is to give with trust.
一旦经过分享和讨论,第三步就是带着信任进行捐赠。
Because in a giving circle, we give altogether to a shared pot of funding before even knowing where that money is going to go.
在捐赠圈,我们还不知道向谁捐款前,会把所有的钱投入一个共享的资金池。
We trust each other, and that trust extends to the groups that we're funding.
我们相互信任,也信任我们要资助的对象。
Tonight we're deciding to give to a small nonprofit with a tiny, tiny budget.
今晚,我们决定要为一个小型非营利组织捐赠很小一笔钱。
These numbers may shock you, but in the US, 88 percent of funding goes to just the top five percent of nonprofits.
下面这些数字可能会让你感到震惊,但在美国,88%的捐款流向了最顶层5% 的非营利组织。
And groups led by Black and Latino leaders get far less funding than similar groups led by white leaders.
由黑人和拉丁裔领导人领导的团体获得的资金远远少于由白人领导人领导的类似团体。