One more step, thought Jon.
再近一步,琼恩心想,
Another foot.
再近一步。
He moved his hand closer to Longclaw’s hilt.
他摸向长爪的剑柄。
If I hold my tongue …
只要我不说……
“Reach up for that bastard sword and I’ll have your bastard head off before it clears the scabbard,” said Mance.
“敢拔剑,我会在它出鞘之前让你这杂种人头落地,”曼斯道,
“I am fast losing patience with you, crow.”
“我快对你失去耐心了,乌鸦。”
“Say it,” Ygritte urged.
“说吧,”耶哥蕊特催促,
“He’s dead, whoever he was.”
“反正不管是谁,都已经死了。”
His frown cracked the blood on his cheek.
他皱紧眉头,脸颊上伤口开裂。
This is too hard, Jon thought in despair.
这太难了,琼恩绝望地想,
How do I play the turncloak without becoming one?
可若要扮演变色龙又怎能不成为变色龙呢?
Qhorin had not told him that.
科林没告诉他怎么做,
But the second step is always easier than the first.
好歹第二步比第一步容易。
“The Old Bear.”
“熊老。”
“That old man?”
“老头子亲自出马?”
Harma’s tone said she did not believe it.
哈犸并不相信,
“He came himself?
“真的?
Then who commands at Castle Black?”
那黑城堡由谁指挥?”
“Bowen Marsh.”
“波文·马尔锡,”
This time Jon answered at once.
这次琼恩立即回答。
You must not balk, whatever is asked of you.
不管要你做什么,都不准违抗,统统照办。
Mance laughed.
曼斯哈哈大笑,
“If so, our war is won.
“如果真是这样,那我们已经不战而胜。
Bowen knows a deal more about counting swords than he’s ever known about using them.”
波文这家伙数剑比用剑在行。”
“The Old Bear commanded,” said Jon.
“熊老亲自坐镇于此,”琼恩说,
“This place was high and strong, and he made it stronger.
“原本地势就险峻坚固,而他继续加强防备,
He dug pits and planted stakes, laid up food and water.
设陷坑,插木桩,储存食水,
He was ready for …”
以对付……”
“… me?” finished Mance Rayder.
“……我?”曼斯替他说完。
“Aye, he was.
“哼,他想得倒美。
Had I been fool enough to storm this hill, I might have lost five men for every crow I slew and still counted myself lucky.”
假如我笨到猛攻的话,至少五比一的伤亡,那还算走运。”
His mouth grew hard.
他抿紧嘴唇。
“But when the dead walk, walls and stakes and swords mean nothing.
“但当死人出没,环墙、木桩和宝剑都变得毫无意义。
You cannot fight the dead, Jon Snow.
人是无法跟死者作战的,琼恩·雪诺,
No man knows that half so well as me.”
没有谁比我更清楚。”
He gazed up at the darkening sky and said,
他抬头凝望渐暗的天空,
“The crows may have helped us more than they know.
“这群乌鸦似乎在不经意间帮了我们的大忙,
I’d wondered why we’d suffered no attacks.
我一直纳闷为何队伍没遭攻击呢。
But there’s still a hundred leagues to go, and the cold is rising.
好,还有一百里格的路,天气越来越冷。
Varamyr, send your wolves sniffing after the wights, I won’t have them taking us unawares.
瓦拉米尔,派你的狼去嗅嗅,追踪尸鬼的行藏,以防他们偷袭。
My Lord of Bones, double all the patrols, and make certain every man has torch and flint.
骸骨之王,将巡逻人数加倍,并确保人人都带有火炬和打火石。
Styr, Jarl, you ride at first light.”
斯迪,贾尔,你们天亮就出发。”
“Mance,” Rattleshirt said, “I want me some crow bones.”
“曼斯,”叮当衫道,“我想要这乌鸦的骨头。”
Ygritte stepped in front of Jon.
耶哥蕊特踏步上前,挡住琼恩,
“You can’t kill a man for lying to protect them as was his brothers.”
“他只是保护过去的兄弟,你不能为这个就杀他。”
“They are still his brothers,” declared Styr.
“我瞧他还把他们当兄弟,”斯迪宣称。
“They’re not,” insisted Ygritte.
“不是的,”耶哥蕊特坚持,
“He never killed me, like they told him.
“他没照他们的命令杀我,
And he slew the Halfhand, we all saw.”
反而毙了断掌,大家都知道。”
Jon’s breath misted the air.
琼恩的吐息在空气中结霜。
If I lie to him, he’ll know.
我瞒不过他。
He looked Mance Rayder in the eyes, opened and closed his burned hand.
他望进曼斯·雷德的眼睛,灼伤的五指开开合合。
“I wear the cloak you gave me, Your Grace.”
“我穿着您给的斗篷,陛下。”
“A sheepskin cloak!” said Ygritte.
“一件羊皮斗篷!”耶哥蕊特道,
“And there’s many a night we dance beneath it, too!”
“每天夜里,我们都在它底下跳舞!”