手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 双语有声读物 > 名著精讲 > 《老人与海》 > 正文

005 好心的老板马丁

编辑:Wendy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

"Wake up old man," the boy said and put his hand on one of the old man's knees.

“醒来吧,老大爷,”孩子说,一手搭上老人的膝盖。

The old man opened his eyes and for a moment he was coming back from a long way away. Then he smiled.

老人张开眼睛,他的神志一时仿佛正在从老远的地方回来。随后他微笑了。

"What have you got?" he asked.

“你拿来了什么?”他问。

"Supper," said the boy. "We're going to have supper."

“晚饭,”孩子说。“我们就来吃吧。”

"I'm not very hungry."

“我肚子不大饿。”

"Come on and eat. You can't fish and not eat."

“得了,吃吧。你不能只打鱼,不吃饭。”

"I have," the old man said getting up and taking the newspaper and folding it.

“我这样干过,”老人说着,站起身来,拿起报纸,把它折好。

Then he started to fold the blanket.

然后他接着把毯子折起来。

"Keep the blanket around you," the boy said.

“把毯子披在身上吧,”孩子说。

"You'll not fish without eating while I'm alive."

“只要我活着,你就决不会不吃饭就去打鱼。”

'Then live a long time and take care of yourself," the old man said. "What are we eating?"

“这么说,祝你长寿,多保重自己吧,”老人说。“我们吃什么?”

"Black beans and rice, fried bananas, and some stew."

“黑豆饭、油炸香蕉,还有些炖菜。”

The boy had brought them in a two-decker metal container from the Terrace.

孩子是把这些饭菜放在双层饭匣里从露台饭店拿来的。

The two sets of knives and forks and spoons were in his pocket with a paper napkin wrapped around each set.

他口袋里有两副刀叉和汤匙,每一副都用纸餐巾包着。

"Who gave this to you?"

“这是谁给你的。”

"Martin. The owner."

“马丁。那老板。”

"I must thank him."

“我得去谢谢他。”

"I thanked him already," the boy said. "You don't need to thank him."

“我已经谢过啦,”孩子说。“你用不着去谢他了。”

"I'll give him the belly meat of a big fish," the old man said. "Has he done this for us more than once?"

“我要给他一块大鱼肚子上的肉,”老人说。“他这样帮助我们不止一次了?”

"I think so."

“我想是这样吧。”

"I must give him something more than the belly meat then. He is very thoughtful for us."

“这样的话,我该在鱼肚子肉以外,再送他一些东西。他对我们真关心。”

"He sent two beers."

“他还送了两瓶啤酒。”

"I like the beer in cans best."

“我喜欢罐装的啤酒。”

"I know. But this is in bottles, Hatuey beer, and I take back the bottles."

“我知道。不过这是瓶装的,阿图埃牌啤酒,我还得把瓶子送回去。”

"That's very kind of you," the old man said. "Should we eat?"

“你真周到,”老人说。“我们就吃好吗?”

"I've been asking you to," the boy told him gently.

“我已经问过你啦,”孩子温和地对他说。

"I have not wished to open the container until you were ready."

“不等你准备好,我是不愿打开饭匣子的。”

"I'm ready now," the old man said. "I only needed time to wash."

“我准备好啦,”老人说。“我只消洗洗手脸就行。”

Where did you wash? the boy thought.

你上哪儿去洗呢?孩子想。

The village water supply was two streets down the road.

村里的水龙头在大路上第二条横路的转角上。

I must have water here for him, the boy thought, and soap and a good towel.

我该把水带到这儿让他用的,孩子想,还带块肥皂和一条干净毛巾来。

Why am I so thoughtless?

我为什么这样粗心大意?

I must get him another shirt and a jacket for the winter and some sort of shoes and another blanket.

我该再弄件衬衫和一件茄克衫来让他过冬,还要一双什么鞋子,并且再给他弄条毯子来。

"Your stew is excellent," the old man said.

“这炖菜呱呱叫,”老人说。

"Tell me about the baseball," the boy asked him.

“给我讲讲棒球赛吧,”孩子请求他说。

"In the American League it is the Yankees as I said," the old man said happily.

“在美国联赛中,总是扬基队的天下,我跟你说过啦,”老人兴高采烈地说。

"They lost today," the boy told him.

“他们今儿个输了,”孩子告诉他。

"That means nothing. The great DiMaggio is himself again."

“这算不上什么,那了不起的迪马吉奥恢复他的本色了。”

"They have other men on the team."

“他们队里还有别的好手哪。”

"Naturally. But he makes the difference.

“这还用说。不过有了他就不同了。

In the other league, between Brooklyn and Philadelphia I must take Brooklyn.

在另一个联赛中,拿布鲁克林队和费拉德尔菲亚队来说,我相信布鲁克林队。

But then I think of Dick Sisler and those great drives in the old park."

不过话得说回来,我没有忘记迪克·西斯勒和他在那老公园里打出的那些好球。”

"There was nothing ever like them. He hits the longest ball I have ever seen."

“这些好球从来没有别人打过。我见过的击球中,数他打得最远。”

"Do you remember when he used to come to the Terrace?"

“你还记得他过去常来露台饭店吗?”

I wanted to take him fishing but I was too timid to ask him.

我想带他出海钓鱼,可是不敢对他开口。

Then I asked you to ask him and you were too timid."

所以我要你去说,可你也不敢。”

"I know. It was a great mistake.

“我记得。我们真大大地失算了。

He might have gone with us. Then we would have that for all of our lives."

他满可能跟我们一起出海的。这样,我们可以一辈子回味这回事了。”

重点单词   查看全部解释    
blanket ['blæŋkit]

想一想再看

n. 毛毯,覆盖物,排字版
vt. 用毯子裹,

 
folding ['fəuldiŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 可折叠的 动词fold的现在分词

 
thoughtful ['θɔ:tful]

想一想再看

adj. 深思的,体贴的

 
terrace ['terəs]

想一想再看

n. 平台,阳台,梯田 vt. 使成梯田,给 ... 建

联想记忆
container [kən'teinə]

想一想再看

n. 容器,集装箱

 
timid ['timid]

想一想再看

adj. 胆怯的,害羞的

联想记忆
drives

想一想再看

n. 驱动器;驱动力;驱动程序(drive的复数形式)

 
baseball ['beis.bɔ:l]

想一想再看

n. 棒球

联想记忆
soap [səup]

想一想再看

n. 肥皂
vt. 用肥皂洗,阿谀奉承

 
fold [fəuld]

想一想再看

n. 折层,折痕
vt. 折叠,包,交叉,拥抱

 

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 001 一条鱼也没打到 2024-08-05
  • 002 饭店谈心 2024-08-05
  • 003 回到窝棚 2024-08-09
  • 004 夜间闲谈 2024-08-12
  • 上一篇:004 夜间闲谈
    发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。