I think I might have been a lawyer in my past life
我想我上辈子可能是个律师,
because I am obsessed with everything related to law or courtroom dramas.
因为我超级喜欢一切与法律或律政剧相关的东西。
Mini English Lessons
迷你英语课
As I said, I love law.
正如我所说,我喜欢法律。
Whether it's keeping up with the latest news,
不管是关注最近的新闻,
watching famous or infamous celebrity trials, you know who I'm talking about,
观看有名或有臭名的明星的审判,你知道我在说谁,
or just watching my favorite series or movie like Legally Blonde.
还是观看我最喜欢的电视剧或电影,比如《律政俏佳人》。
So today we're going to go through courtroom expressions.
今天我们要学习一些法庭上的表达。
This will help you understand news headlines or your favourite movie a little bit better.
这将帮助你更好地理解新闻标题或你最喜欢的电影。
Number one, pleaded the Fifth.
第一, 援引第五修正案。
Did you know that Trump pleaded the Fifth more than four hundred times during a deposition?
你知道吗?特朗普在一次证词中,援引第五修正案的次数超过了四百次。
But what does that mean?
但那意味着什么呢?
When someone pleads the Fifth, it means that they choose not to answer a question because it might incriminate them.
当某人援引第五修正案时,这意味着他们选择不回答问题,因为回答问题可能会给他们定罪。
Fifth refers to the Fifth Amendment of the US Constitution.
第五指的是美国宪法的第五修正案。
Fun fact, there are twenty seven in total.
冷知识:总共有二十七个修正案。
This story requires two expressions, so I'm gonna do number two and three together.
接下来这个故事需要两个表达,所以我把第二条和第三条放在一起讲。
Defamation, unanimous decision.
诽谤,一致裁定。
Do you know what I'm talking about?
你知道我在说什么吗?
I'm talking about the Depp v Heard trial.
我说的是德普诉前妻希尔德案的审判。
Millions of people around the world watched it on YouTube.
数百万人在世界各地通过油管观看了审判。
But what is a defamation trial?
但是,什么是诽谤审判?
A defamation refers to the act of damaging someone's good reputation.
诽谤是指损害某人良好声誉的行为。
And in this trial, Johnny Depp sued Amber Heard for defamation.
在这场审判中,约翰尼·德普起诉艾梅柏·希尔德诽谤。
And do you know what happened?
你知道发生了什么吗?
The jury unanimously ruled in favour of Johnny Depp.
陪审团一致裁定约翰尼·德普胜诉。
But what is a unanimous verdict or decision?
但什么是一致裁决/决定呢?
It's a decision where all members of the jury agree.
就是陪审团所有成员都同意的决定。
Four, verdict.
第四,裁决。
Ed Sheeran was involved in a highly publicised copyright trial.
艾德·希兰卷入了一场备受关注的版权审判。
He was accused of stealing another artist's song.
他被指控抄袭了另一位艺术家的歌曲。
The jury's verdict was in favour of Ed Sheeran, so he basically won that case.
陪审团裁决艾德·希兰胜诉,也就是他基本上打赢了那场官司。
But what does verdict mean?
但裁决是什么意思呢?
A verdict. It's a decision reached by a jury after a trial.
裁决是陪审团在审判后做出的决定。
Number five, acquit.
第五,宣判无罪。
You or your parents might remember the famous O. J. Simpson trial where this expression was used.
你或你的父母可能还记得著名的O. J. 辛普森审判,在这个案子里就有这个表达。
If it doesn't fit, you must acquit.
如果不符合犯罪,就必须宣判无罪。
Acquit means to be declared innocent of any guilt or wrongdoing.
宣判无罪就是宣布某人没有任何罪行或不当行为。
And the last one, and it basically links all of these trials together, is under oath.
最后一个,它基本上将所有这些审判联系在一起,就是宣誓。
Because when you testify in a trial, you have to swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth,
因为当你在法庭上作证时,你必须发誓说出全部真相,而且只说真相,
which is basically a fancy way of saying, do you promise? Do you pinky promise?
这其实就是用高大上的语言说:你能保证吗?能拉钩保证吗?
Those were some law-related expressions that will help you understand news headlines, trials, or your favourite movies or series.
以上这些是与法律相关的表达,它们将帮助你理解新闻标题、审判,或你最喜欢的电影或电视剧。
All rise. You may now subscribe and comment.
全体起立。现在可以订阅或评论。