Hello. For this video, you're going to need a pen and paper.
大家好,看这个视频的时候,你需要一支笔和一张纸。
I'm going to tell you a story about a strange monster.
我将给你讲一个关于一个奇怪的怪兽的故事。
The first time, using formal language.
第一遍用正式语言讲。
The second time, using informal language.
第二遍用非正式语言讲。
Mini English Lessons
迷你英语课
After I've told you the story once, look at the transcript in the description below and note down five formal words and try and change them into informal words.
我讲完一遍故事后,请看看文字描述, 记下五个正式词汇,并尝试将它们改为非正式词汇。
Are you ready? Let's go.
准备好了吗?开始吧。
Over the years, I'd acquired thousands and thousands of board games, but I didn't have one thing, friends that wanted to play them.
经过很多年,我已经获得了成千上万个棋盘游戏,但是有一个东西我没有:没有想玩这些游戏的朋友。
Fortunately, someone told me about a strange doctor who could create one for me.
幸运的是,有人告诉我有一个奇怪的医生,他可以为我创造一个朋友。
I submitted my details, and several weeks later, there was a knock at my door.
我提交了个人信息,几周后,有人敲我的门。
I opened it and saw a towering monster.
我打开门,看到一个高大的怪兽。
Let's play Settlers of Catan, it said.
它说:“我们来玩《卡坦岛》吧。”
Great, I responded.
我回答:“好啊。”
We started to play.
我们开始玩了。
It was great.
玩得很开心。
Once we had finished, the monster spoke again.
一局结束,怪兽又说:
Let's play another board game.
“我们来玩另一个游戏吧。”
However, I just needed to rest.
“但我需要休息。”
Let's play another board game, his voice boomed.
“我们来玩另一个游戏吧。”他低吼道。
The food in my kitchen had completely depleted, and I wanted to go out and purchase something from the shops.
“厨房里的食物已经耗尽了,我想去商店买点东西。”
I felt like I was going to lose consciousness.
我感觉我要失去意识了。
I decided that I couldn't tolerate this any longer and evicted him. Goodbye.
我决定再也不能容忍了,于是把他驱赶了出去。再见吧。
Now, look at the transcript in the description below, and note down five formal words, and try and change them into informal words.
现在请看下面的文字描述,记下五个正式词汇,并尝试将它们改为非正式词汇。
Are you ready?
你准备好了吗?
Let's press the pause button.
请按下暂停按钮。
Have you pressed it?
你按了吗?
Welcome back.
欢迎回来。
Now, I'm gonna tell the same story using informal language.
现在我要用非正式的语言来讲同一个故事。
I'd got hold of thousands and thousands of board games, but I didn't have one thing that I needed to play them. That's friends.
我有了成千上万的棋盘游戏,但是有一个玩游戏需要的东西我没有,就是朋友。
So I passed on my details to this weird doctor, and suddenly I heard a knock at my door.
于是我把个人信息交给了这个奇怪的医生,然后突然我听到有人敲门。
And there before me was this weird looking, massive, ginormous monster.
然后在我面前就出现了一个样子怪异、巨大无比的怪物。(注:ginormous即gigantic和enormous的合体。)
And he said, let's play board games.
他说:我们来玩棋盘游戏吧。
He got out Settlers of Catan and he said let's play now.
他拿出了《卡坦岛》,然后说:我们现在就玩吧。
And I said, well, that that's great.
我说:啊,太好了。
So we started playing, and we finished.
于是我们开始玩,然后一局结束了。
And he said, let's play another game.
他说:我们再玩一局吧。
I said, well, okay. That's, that's brilliant.
我说:好吧,行。真是,真是太棒了。
So we played again and again and again.
于是我们玩了一局又一局,一局又一局。
We played so much that the food in my kitchen had completely run out.
我们玩得太尽兴了,厨房里的食物都全吃光了。
Then suddenly, I just felt like I was gonna ... I was gonna faint.
突然,我觉得我要……我要晕倒了。
I couldn't put up with him anymore, so I chucked him out. Bye.
我再也无法忍受他了,所以我把他赶了出去。再见。
Did you notice any differences between those stories?
你注意到两个故事之间有什么不同吗?
Here are three different words that I changed.
有三个词被我换掉了。
One word was get hold of.
一个词是得到/有。
So in the first story, I said to acquire, which is a very formal way of saying to get something.
在第一个故事中,我说acquire(获得),这是一种非常正式的说法,表示得到某物。
But in the second story, I said to get hold of, which is an informal way of saying acquire.
但是在第二个故事中,我说to get hold of(有),这是acquire的一种非正式说法。
The second word is submitted.
第二个词是提交。
So in the first story, I said I submitted my details, which sounds very formal.
在第一个故事中,我说我提交了个人信息,这听起来非常正式。
But in the second story, I said I passed on my details, which is informal.
但是在第二个故事中,我说我把个人信息交过去了,这是非正式的。
The third word is depleted.
第三个词是耗尽。
So in the first story, I said the food in my kitchen had completely depleted, which sounds very formal.
在第一个故事中,我说厨房里的食物已经耗尽了,这听起来非常正式。
But in the second story, I said the food in my kitchen had completely run out, which is informal.
但是在第二个故事中,我说厨房里的食物已经吃完了,这是非正式的。
Those are three examples, but maybe you found some more.
这只是三个例子,也许你找到了更多被替换的词。
Please let me know in the comments section if you found any other differences between the two stories.
如果你发现了这两个故事用的不同的词,请在评论区告诉我。
And farewell to you. Bye bye.
那么要和大家告别了。拜拜。