London is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in.
伦敦是世界上生活成本最高的城市之一。
The average property here will set you back over 2,200 pounds in rent per month, that's over $2,700;
这里的平均房租要让你每月花掉超过2200英镑,约合2700多美元;
and to buy one, well, that will cost you over half a million pounds on average or over $600,000.
而购买一套房产的平均价格是50多万英镑,约合60多万美元。
So it's no surprise that people are finding innovative ways to save money on housing.
因此难怪人们正在寻找创新的方法来节省住房费用。
One of these ways is something called property guardianship.
其中一种办法叫做“房产监护”。
Behind me is a disused office block in trendy east London.
我身后是时髦的伦敦东区的一座废弃办公大楼。
But it's not sitting empty.
但大楼并没有空置。
People have moved in into makeshift apartments as a way to avoid paying skyhigh rents.
人们搬进了这里的临时公寓,从而避免支付高昂的租金。
They're not renters, but they're not squatters.
他们不是租客,但他们也不是擅自偷住别人的房子。
The building owners know they are there and are charging them a fee.
大楼的业主知道他们住在里面,并向他们收取一定费用。
Let's go take a look.
我们去看看吧。
It feels like a cool New York loft apartment, except I'm not paying cool New York loft apartment prices.
这里很像一个很酷的纽约loft公寓,只是我没有支付纽约公寓的价格。
I would think I've saved thousands, uh, of pounds on rent.
我想我已经省下了好几千英镑的房租。
Historically, there was a sort of typical guardian type --creative people --
过去,典型的房产监护人都是创意工作者,
but today it's evolved to anyone basically looking to reduce their monthly living costs.
但如今演变成了基本上任何寻求降低每月生活成本的人都可以是房产监护人。
So I'm a project manager in the, uh, the tax sector.
我是一个税务方面的项目经理。
Um, and I am well-paid; I earn above, um, the national average.
嗯,我的工资很高,超过全国平均薪资水平。
I'm living very centrally.
我现在住在市中心。
I've got a nice spacious area to live in.
居住空间很宽敞。
It's fully equipped, got kitchen, shower, everything else.
房间配备齐全,有厨房、淋浴和其他所有东西。
And I'm paying a fraction of what I would pay if I tried to rent a place like this in this location.
而且我现在的房租只相当于类似位置、类似房型租金的一小部分。