"Fairly large," I whispered. "I intend to place in this bank the sum of fifty-six dollars now and fifty dollars a month regularly."
“相当大,”我低声说,“我打算现在在这家银行存56美元,然后每月定期存50美元。”
The manager got up and opened the door. He called to the accountant.
经理站起身打开门,他把会计师喊来了。
"Mr. Montgomery," he said, unkindly loud, "this gentleman is opening an account. He will place fifty-six dollars in it. Good morning."
“蒙哥马利先生,”他极不友善地大声说道,“这位先生打算开个户头,他要存入56美元。再见。”
I stood up.
我站了起来。
A big iron door stood open at the side of the room.
房间一侧的一扇大铁门敞开着。
"Good morning," I said, and walked into the safe.
“再见。”我说。然后走进了保险库。
"Come out," said the manager coldly, and showed me the other way.
“出来。”经理冷冷地说道,然后指给我另一个方向。
I went up to the accountant's position and pushed the ball of money at him with a quick, sudden movement as if I were doing a sort of trick.
我走到会计师窗口,迅速而又突然地把已揉成团的钞票推给他,好像在耍什么花样。
My face was terribly pale.
我的脸煞白。
"Here," I said, "put it in my account." The sound of my voice seemed to mean, "Let us do this painful thing while we feel that we want to do it."
“这儿,”我说,“把它存入我的户头。”我的声音似乎在说“让我们赶紧结束这件让人痛苦的事情吧。”
He took the money and gave it to another clerk.
他拿起钱,递给了另一个职员。
He made me write the sum on a bit of paper and sign my name in a book. I no longer knew what I was doing. The bank seemed to swim before my eyes.
他让我在一张小纸片上写下金额并在一个账簿上签名。我已经不知道自己在做什么,银行似乎在我眼前旋转起来。
"Is it in the account?" I asked in a hollow, shaking voice.
“存入账户了?”我用空洞发颤的声音问道。
"It is," said the accountant.
“是的。”会计师说。